Are my fish too big for my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello again!

So my ph in my 55 gallon tank will not go above 6.6. The guy at the LFS said it may be because my two 8 inch tin foil barbs are too big and using up most of the oxogen. I also have 2 irredessent sharks that are about 6-7 inches long. Should I get rid of these big fish? I have 3 mollies, 3 corys, and now 3 flying foxes as well, they are all pretty small. He also said it could be something decaying in there? I have some Java ferns that are a little brown, could that be the cause? I'm thinking if it's the big fish I would get rid of the tin foil barbs, although I don't know if they make a net big enough to get them out! lol.

My little tank which currently holds my Molly babies is at 7.2 and before I moved the adult mollies into the big tank they seemed alot happier.

Please help me, I really appreciate and value your opinions.

Thank you,
Mary

I don't know if you have too many fish but if you think you need more oxygen then just disturb the water surface more. With filter outflow or a powerhead or an airstone.

I think you probably do have too many large fish in there. Big fish eat a lot, which means they poo a lot, and as fish poo breaks down over time it will pull the pH in the tank down. I would suggest starting a regimen of large water changes (~50% weekly) to dilute out all the nasties and help give your tank some of its buffering capacity back.

FYI both the tinfoil barbs and the iridescent sharks can get HUGE and really need to be in a much bigger tank. It won't be long before they'll grow so that they can't turn around very well in a narrow 55g.

Yeah, I was thinking it wouldn't be a bad idea. Even though they've been the toughest fish ever living in the conditions they were living in when my husband was in charge of the tank. It will be sad to see them go, but I'm sure they'll be happier. I just don't know how to get them out!

If you cant find a big enough net try the fishing department at your local hardware store.. and if all else fails just use your hands.. just try not to let one slip out onto the floor. Im wondering what your going to do with them once you get them out?

-dave

BTW- My husband wrote the above little comment,.... he was offended that I said he neglected them.

I think I may try craigslist first, then if no responses probably see if the fish store wants them. I would like to see them go somewhere who knows how to care for their tank, not just some idiots who want a fish tank at the moment and then neglect them.

Back
Top Bottom