Are my panda cories stressing out my guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amber2108

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a pair of Panda Corys for my 20gal. They really like to chase each other and I've noticed that a couple times it looks like they're trying to tackle or bite one of my male guppies. The guppy looks a lot twitchier than usual. My tank has 2 panda cories, 2 male guppies, 4 female guppies, and a clown pleco(who keeps to itself almost all the time.) Also a plethora of newly born babies. I change the water every 2 weeks and have a 30gal filter running, and 2 separate bubblers. Is my guppy going to be okay? How do I get the pandas to leave my guppy alone?

Hmm, that doesn't sound typical. Cories would have to be the most peaceful fish I know of. Cories are shoalers that are best kept in groups of 6 or more, but 4 should be the minimum. I would try picking up a couple more and see if this helps them keep to themselves more. They are always going to be very active, but guppies are very active as well and in general are not an easily stressed fish, so they should be a perfect pairing in a 20 gal tank.

I agree. I have a breeding colony of pandas and both they and pygmies are some of the most timid/non-confrontational fish that I have.. They definitely do better in larger groups as posted above.

Thank you, I was just worried that they were stressing each other out. :x I'm paranoid about my pets. They do seem better now, I think they just needed to get better acquainted.

Corys are little nuts, but they never hurt anything, I do agree you should get yourself a couple more.

Back
Top Bottom