Are plastic twist ties safe for aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catfish Lover

Aquarium Advice Freak
I plan on getting lots of anubias and java fern and attaching them to my driftwood and seems like twist ties would work easily. Are they safe? The ones I'm talking about are the black ones you see that come with electronic equipment that the cord is tied with.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would think tie wraps are better than twist ties. Twist ties have a metal component. If I use metal in my tank, which I do in one of them, I make sure it's stainless steel.

I'd go with tie wraps as it's made of plastic.

A better idea would be to use super glue, rubber bands, fishing line, or zip ties like you hold cords together with. You can also use regular thread and it will dissolve after a while but it will hold on long enough for the plants to attach.

Zip ties are tie wraps. No one really calls them zip ties where I live though. I guess the lingo is different there. The thread will dissolve. I have used super glue though. I would take the previous commenters advice if he/she recommends it.

Thanks guys. I found some plastic tie wraps. I've done the whole rubber band and it was annoying. I'll be able to slide the tie wrap through the crevice of the wood and tie easily

I use stainless steel screws and fishing line. I never used tie wraps because they are noticeable, but if that's not a problem, you have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I vote the superglue method as well. Make sure its the gel, not the thin, runny stuff, or it'll get everywhere! It does turn white underwater, so use it sparingly and wherever it won't be seen. The plants will grow over it to hide it in time if any is visible.

Also, make sure you use gloves so you don't glue yourself to the plants ;)

Do I glue the rhizome or the roots to the wood?

The roots, ideally, and not all of them. Just enough that it stays. The rhizomes do best when uncovered by dirt/wood/glue so they can "breathe".

Wouldn't the plant have a hard time staying upright if just the roots are glued? The weight of the plant is mostly in the rhizome.

Wouldn't the plant have a hard time staying upright if just the roots are glued? The weight of the plant is mostly in the rhizome.

When I did this with my Anubias Nana and Anubias Nana Petite they all stayed up fine with just the roots glued, but larger plants may have more trouble. You can glue the rhizomes if it seems to be having trouble, but do so sparingly.

I applied it to the plant and then pushed the plant into the wood using gloved fingers, but either way should work.

You can do it either way. Just dry it off some with a paper towel. Both the rhizome and wood. Then put a dot of glue where you want it, stick plant on, and hold for a few seconds to let it adhere.

Back
Top Bottom