Are snails sensitive to water paremeter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewH

Aquarium Advice Activist
Are snails sensitive to water parameter?

My fish has just recently come down with Ich and I plan on removing the Apple Snails and Unkown Type Baby Snails and putting them in a temporary container while I begin to add salt to my tank. After 2 weeks I plan to add them back into the tank. Currently my tank is at 85 degrees and I plan on taking the snails out very soon. I'm going to put the snails in fresh dechlorinated water. The pH from the tap matches the pH from the tank, the only thing i'm conscerned about is the temperature are snails as sensitive as fish when it comes to temperature change (I have no extra heater).

I read that they will climb out of the water if they dont like the parameters. Its a good indicator that something is not right.

Now I'm nor sure how bad the water has to be, or how sensitive they are.

I've never foudn them to be sensitive.

That being said, salt is not necessary typically in treating for Ich with the heat method, unless you notice labored breathing by your fish. Make sure you have ample surface agitation to assist in oxygenation (higher temp water = less O2), but salt shouldn't be necessary unless it's really, really bad case of ich.

I've never foudn them to be sensitive.

That being said, salt is not necessary typically in treating for Ich with the heat method, unless you notice labored breathing by your fish. Make sure you have ample surface agitation to assist in oxygenation (higher temp water = less O2), but salt shouldn't be necessary unless it's really, really bad case of ich.

Really... **** I just went out and bought some API Aquarium salt and it's now dissolving in water for the next water change. Although not necessary do you think it would still help a bit?

If the ich has gotten deep in the gills, or they're having trouble breathing then small amounts might be beneficial. Otherwise, I don't think it's going to do much for you.

I did the same thing - bought some thinking I'd need it. That was almost 2 years ago. Box is still unopened. lol

If the ich has gotten deep in the gills, or they're having trouble breathing then small amounts might be beneficial. Otherwise, I don't think it's going to do much for you.

I did the same thing - bought some thinking I'd need it. That was almost 2 years ago. Box is still unopened. lol

lol, alright then the RTS seems to be doing great at temperatures of 87 no stress no problems breathing he seems as happy as can be. I'm going to take you're advice and will not be using the salt.

I noticed a few more spots today on his tail. I also noticed a few had fallen off.

Back
Top Bottom