Are there any bigger freshwater shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would love to have shrimp, but the tiny ones I see a the LFS are so hard to see. I worry I would vacuum them up. Are there any larger species I could look for?

Bamboo and vampire get big. Like 6-inches. But you need a decent sized mature tank for bamboos, not sure about vampire.
But if you get amano or cherrys or the other dwarf shrimp they get over an inch which is plenty big for me. You just gotta look for the older ones.

I have small ghost shrimp (.5 an inch) in my 10 gallon and when i siphon out the water i rubberband fine netting over the open end so they dont get sucked in.

I love my amanos, they are big enough where you don't suck them up. I'd say 2 1/2 - 3 inches. Most shrimp head for higher ground when you do a gravel vac. It's only my red cherry shrimp that I have to worry about. ;)

Crayfish aren't shrimp but are inverts that are big and sometimes very colorful. They have aggression issues though.

Bamboo shrimp or Blue Fan shrimp. Bamboo get to a decent size, mine is currently 3" at mo. Blue fan shimp can get to 6" (and b4 any1 sayes crayfish, they're not)

Ok, great! Thanks for all the suggestions! I would love a blue crawfish but he would eat all my fishies. I might go for a bamboo or two. :)

45 gal. I'm planning on upgrading in the spring, or I should say, getting another larger tank.

Are the ones at your LFS just babies maybe? Just asking because the nano shrimps like red cherries will get close to an inch long so they shouldn't be so small to need to worry about. The juveniles that are usually the ones being shipped are tiny though giving a false impression of what the shrimp really look like or how big they can get.

Yeah, they are pretty tiny at the LFS. But I also watch my tank from across the room. I just think I would enjoy being able to watch a few larger shrimp. Ta!

Back
Top Bottom