are there any fish that could go with male bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ftcgames

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my last post, I asked if I should get angelfish for my 5g. According to you guys, they get too big for a 5g. So I decided on 1 male betta, but I was wondering if there are any tropical fish that would get along with the betta. If there's not, I guess I will just get a female and some other fish. thanks guys!

Ftcgames said:
In my last post, I asked if I should get angelfish for my 5g. According to you guys, they get too big for a 5g. So I decided on 1 male betta, but I was wondering if there are any tropical fish that would get along with the betta. If there's not, I guess I will just get a female and some other fish. thanks guys!

I think you should just put either a male or female betta in there with no other fish. Females can be mean too. You could probably do some snails, and maybe some shrimp with a betta though.

Your stocking options are fairly limited with a 5gal. especially if your considering a male betta. Most nano type fish like dario and killies will probably be harassed because of their flashy fins and close quarters.

I had a female Betta who I named Helga the Horrible because she was so aggressive. I have kept a male Betta in a community tank with no problems, but it was a 30 gallon. I think 5 is probably too small for any other fish to be added with the Betta. Wish I had some better ideas for you.

I for one recommend to stick with a male betta alone. And if you wanted females, then they say to get multiple females to lessen the harassment, meaning that you would need a bigger tank.

I vote for just the male Betta.

I agree with the other advise. IMO, a 5g is not big enough for a betta (of either gender) and fish tankmates. Small spaces breed aggression even in peaceful fish. You could try some shrimp and snails if you want to though.

Not all males are agressive. If u want to see if he is nice then take him abd put him up to the other aquariums if he flares he agressive if not then u can put him with other fish like guppies or platy.

5 gallons is too small for platies.

A lack of flaring from a fish that is stressed from sitting in a cup of filthy water is not in any way, shape, or form indicative of whether that fish would be a good tank mate to other fish in the long term.

Mckitrick said:
Not all males are agressive. If u want to see if he is nice then take him abd put him up to the other aquariums if he flares he agressive if not then u can put him with other fish like guppies or platy.

That isn't a good way to tell because:
1. He could flare at his own reflection
2. He may just be stressed from being in a cup or whatever he would be in
3. He may flare at fish to begin with but slowly get used to them.
I wouldn't put bettas with guppies because they usually have long flowing tails like bettas, especially the males. The betta may think that they are another betta and attack them.

I had a male betta in a 5 gal and really, that was plenty! Betta's are so active and beautiful when given room to swim (ie not kept in a small "betta bowl"). Add some live plants and a zebra nerite snail and I don't think you will need another fish in there with him.

I have a divided 10g. On one side is a male betta and 2 aquatic frogs. On the other is a female betta and 2 more aquatic frogs. Several large Malaysian trumpet snails are in both sides as well. Before I had the female it was another male. Anyway, you could get a frog or 2 in with the betta. They are cool to watch. Otherwise I also would suggest snails

My male betta completely ignores my cory cats, and they all seem to do well. However, when I had an otocinclus in there, he would come up to it and bite it, so the oto got moved to another tank.

Back
Top Bottom