Are there easy indicators for sexing c.paleatus? - pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoSinister

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife and I are slowly getting our tank where we want it, and last night bought a peppered cory to go with the one that came with our tank initially.

Is there any easier way to tell if a cory is male/female? We're not looking to breed. Just wondering, plus curious about some behavior.

I've read that females are larger and broader. I've also read that males have a taller and more pointed dorsal fin. I'm just not experienced enough to tell the difference.

Our original cory is almost a third bigger than the new fish, but I attribute that more to age as opposed to gender, as most lfs fish are sold as juveniles. The larger one also seems to have a fairly "pointy" dorsal fin.

Our original cory seems fascinated with the new addition. Periodically following it everywhere. Almost herding it. It doesn't seem harmful though. It just seems to want to be in contact or very close proximity to the other. I know they enjoy their own kind, so I'm just basically curious if this will be the normal behavior between *any* cories, or just one that is interested in spawning.

Thanks.

Attachments

• c_paleatus_02_213.jpg
    c_paleatus_02_213.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 30
  • c_paleatus_01_148.jpg
    c_paleatus_01_148.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 32
Cories tend to school, and your info about the sex difference is correct. The male paleatus will have a dorsal that is taller than the female, as well as being smaller overall. The difference in the dorsal is more apparent when comparing 2 fish. It may be necesary to wait till they have matured to be sure. Paleatus are one of the few with a visible difference between the sexes.

Back
Top Bottom