Are These Assassin Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captaincritical

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hellohello,

I was testing my water this morning when I noticed some movement in the substrate. I don't even know how I spotted them (they are TINY), but it would appear I've picked up some hitchhikers! I recently introduced two new plants to my tank, and I've just now spotted at least 3 snails. I spent 15 minutes messing with my iPhone to get some pictures. Can anyone confirm that these are assassin snails? They could also be MTS, right?

img_2855769_0_767dee9bbaa923e984726ef81354437f.jpg

Blurry but indicative of shape, at least:
img_2855769_1_953e3863e738b638fb32b89bd4dcdc4d.jpg

img_2855769_2_f12afcd2a7a980a567faead6d9edfdbd.jpg

What are the odds they'll survive in my tank? It's not fully cycled yet; I'm JUST starting to see nitrates. I added some Prime just in case it'll help. My ammonia is sitting at 0.50ppm.

Just how readily do these breed in fresh water? Am I going to have an infestation?

Thanks!

These are Malaysian Trumpet Snails (MTS) and are the most beneficial of all snails for a FW tank. They are livebearers and will produce easily When they have a food source. They eat alge from your plants, ornaments and glass, and decaying organic matter (melting leaves). MTS usually burrow in the substrate during the day and go alge hunting at night. Pretty cool little snails IMO.

Oops. Forgot to let you know they should handle the cycling process pretty well. I have had them in a cycling tank a few times and suffered no losses.

They will be fine, they can quickly multiply into lots and lots if tiny snails, if you feel they are getting out of control get a couple Khulis loaches or assassin snails! You can always mail them to me, my assassins love them!

Or... If they seem to be getting out of hand (and my assassin snails are full) I zap a small piece of zuccini in the microwave for 10 seconds and place it in a baby food jar at the bottom of the tank before bed. In the morning they will all be gathered there and you can take the jar out. This won't remove all of them but will help keep them under control.

Or... If they seem to be getting out of hand (and my assassin snails are full) I zap a small piece of zuccini in the microwave for 10 seconds and place it in a baby food jar at the bottom of the tank before bed. In the morning they will all be gathered there and you can take the jar out. This won't remove all of them but will help keep them under control.
excellent advice!!veggie wafers would work too I'm guessing, my snails go after those like crazy.

Okay, I'll take this as a good omen! Everything I've read says that if I feed my fish sparingly, they shouldn't become a problem. Is this true? If I have a problem down the line, could I just pick up a few assassins to help control the population?

Thanks, I don't know what it is about zuccini but the critters really love it. They're so focused on eating it that they don't even notice they've been dropped in a tank with assassin snails Lol.

Okay, I'll take this as a good omen! Everything I've read says that if I feed my fish sparingly, they shouldn't become a problem. Is this true? If I have a problem down the line, could I just pick up a few assassins to help control the population?

If you don't have plants and feed sparingly they will take a while to reproduce. The quantity of food has a lot to do with their reproductive habits. Down the line if you want to keep their numbers down ten assassin snails will probably do the trick. Put out a message on the site and I'm sure plenty of us would be willing to send you some assassin snails for the cost of shipping. I've found that assassin snails typically eat one MTS per day, and breed much slower than other snails.

Thanks, I don't know what it is about zuccini but the critters really love it. They're so focused on eating it that they don't even notice they've been dropped in a tank with assassin snails Lol.
haha atleast you're giving them the best last meal!!! Death row for mts:0 critical.. You'll get mixed opinions on assassins here but from my experience, my 4 assassins will eradicate any snail in the tank in 24 hrs, I'll get some from my Lfs, drop them in and the next morning it's like a crime scene.. It may sound sick but boy is it cool to watch. Snail nerd alert!!

I must have lazy assassins. I have nine in a tank and it takes them a couple of weeks to finish twenty MTS. It's only a 10g tank so perhaps they know the MTS will not get away and therefore take their time to enjoy their food.

If you don't want snails, get rid of them now. In 2 months time you can have hundreds of them.

I have a tank of 10 Kuhli's and I never seen them eat snails of any kind.

The only fish I ever had to eat the snails was a Puffer.

OP- the snails in your pictures look like assassin snails to me. Might just have to wait until they get bigger to tell!
And no, kuhlis do not eat snails.

OP- the snails in your pictures look like assassin snails to me. Might just have to wait until they get bigger to tell! And no, kuhlis do not eat snails.
they are most likely mts, maybe I'm mistaking a clown loach for a snail eater..

Clown loaches will eat snails. Kuhli loaches will not. Clown loaches grow to two feet long though.

Back
Top Bottom