Are These Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just saw these about 3 minutes ago, and they look like eggs. My tank is FW, fake plants (save that for another discussion). Stock is as follows:
3 Bronze cories
2 peppered cories (had three, but one died)
2 or 3 really big ghost shrimp
7 Rummy nose Tetra
1 leopard and 3 zebra danio
1 von Rio Tetra
3 Angelfish of unknown sexes

ForumRunner_20130317_002622.jpg

ForumRunner_20130317_002744.jpg

ForumRunner_20130317_002913.jpg

ForumRunner_20130317_003011.jpg

They are Cory eggs. The shrimp eggs are tiny and yellow. The shrimp will usually keep them under their tail until they hatch. Angelfish eggs are more round and usually laid in straightish lines. Danio eggs are also more round. Tetras would lay their eggs on the the plants. Cory eggs are usually odd shaped, and the cory's lay them haphazardly.

Well, I don't know if they're bronze or peppered Cory eggs, but they both fetch a fair penny at my LFS. Is there any way I can transfer them to another tank? I have a 5 gallon tank with more ghost shrimp and about 100 baby mystery snails.

I copied this from fish forums:
The eggs should be placed together on the tank wall or another vertical surface. You will find that the eggs are pretty sticky, and can quite easily be rolled off the tank wall and onto your finger, if you want to transfer them. It is best not to expose the eggs to air, and do remember to be careful when moving them so they are not damaged or even destroyed.

To help prevent fungal growth (which would lead to the eggs not hatching) the eggs should be placed in some kind of water flow. An easy way is to simply place an airstone underneath the eggs.

Fertile eggs will look quite beige in colour, and will develop a darker spot in the middle as hatching becomes near. Infertile eggs will look plain and white/translucent. The eggs should take about 3+ days to hatch, and when they hatch they will be absolutely tiny.

So, it has come to my attention, that I have 20-30 FERTILE corydoras eggs, and I'm gonna try to raise them. Assuming I'm not blind as a bat and they were laid yesterday afternoon, and they hatch after 3ish days, I've got 2 days to figure out how to raise them. So, anyone with experience raising cories please chime in.

There is a product called liquifry. It's food designed to feed fry. You can also give them microworms and baby brine shrimp. Other than that, just keep the water chemistry stable. A small fluctuation will seriously harm the fry. Congratulations by the way! The fish will only spawn when all their needs are being properly met, so you must be agood fish parent.

Back
Top Bottom