Are these filters okay to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrawnShop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was wandering around the bowels of my local Home Depot the other day and I ran across their very small mounted water filtration section. Several of them seemed quite cheap, in a reasonable sort of way, and I was wondering if they were okay to use in a planted aquarium.

GXWH04F with FXWTC

I have a 55 gal planted with a 10 gal sump, and I already have the overflow from the tank filtered through a broken HOB filter that no longer works. (Basically, the overflow pours into the back of the HOB, which hangs onto the sump and filters the water before going into the sump)

I was thinking of setting this up in between the sump pump and the tank return just to provide an additional bit if filtering, but was curious if something like this would be too much, or even add some harmful chemicals into the tank. I typically vacuum out the tank, but add water back into the sump, and was thinking that this might be a better alternative than adding a chlorine remover to the water.

They also have this one: FXUSC, but it doesn't handle the chlorine.

PrawnShop said:
So I was wandering around the bowels of my local Home Depot the other day and I ran across their very small mounted water filtration section. Several of them seemed quite cheap, in a reasonable sort of way, and I was wondering if they were okay to use in a planted aquarium.

GXWH04F with FXWTC

I have a 55 gal planted with a 10 gal sump, and I already have the overflow from the tank filtered through a broken HOB filter that no longer works. (Basically, the overflow pours into the back of the HOB, which hangs onto the sump and filters the water before going into the sump)

I was thinking of setting this up in between the sump pump and the tank return just to provide an additional bit if filtering, but was curious if something like this would be too much, or even add some harmful chemicals into the tank. I typically vacuum out the tank, but add water back into the sump, and was thinking that this might be a better alternative than adding a chlorine remover to the water.

They also have this one: FXUSC, but it doesn't handle the chlorine.

Those are both in-line micron and carbon filtration systems which are cut in and installed on the main water line of the house (I run a water filtration company). They're helpful for removing some taste/odor from the water, and will catch a degree of the dissolved solids. It's basically like putting a Brita filter on your entire house and are usually used by people with well water. I don't believe it would have any benefit on an aquarium, but it can make the water a little more tolerable for your family if you have odors or bad taste to your tap water. You'll still need to always use a dechlorinator during each pwc, because regardless of what the claims of the company are...the filters do not fully remove the chlorine / chloramines in your water. If you're happy with your tap water in general, I'd save your $ since the filter won't provide any tangible benefits for your fishy friends :)

Back
Top Bottom