Are these suitable members for a 55 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

endlesstropical

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys! I just picked up a beautiful 55 gallon tank and it has been cycling for about two weeks and I'm letting it go for about 1-2 more. Will these members be okay together? I've done plenty of research but just want to be sure! Thanks! ? (The ones with checks are what I already have in my 20 gallon. Everything is female.) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408723975.419854.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mollies prefer more hard, alkaline water with a bit of salt (being kept in pure freshwater causes long-term health issues), while rams, cardinals, and angels usually prefer more acidic, soft water with only having salt added for short periods of time (such as when medicating or treating ich). You can keep them together, but it's not very good for either side for long-term.

Mollies don't need salt for long-term health, but they do need hard, alkaline water. Angels are pretty adaptable, they've been bred in aquariums for many generations in harder water than wild-caught stock lies in. A pair may help control the number of fry from the mollies.
Rams and cardinal tetras do prefer softer water and neutral to lower pH. Inverts like shrimp and dwarf crayfish may be eaten after they molt, until the new shell hardens they can be picked apart by any fish.

Not sure on the crayfish and shrimp but everything else looks fine. I have a single Angel and it works great in my community tank. You can have problems as you introduce others - very temperament dependent. I think mollies are fairly hardy fish and are adaptable to a number of water conditions. I would add your angel to the tank last, they can be aggressive sometimes.

crayfish generally live to ruin everyone elses day. I wouldnt keep one with that selection of fish.

By grass shrimp do you mean glass shrimp? If im not mistaken grass shrimp are salt water inverts while the glass / ghost shrimp are commonly kept in the bobby.

The mollys will do just fine in that setup. They like salt but definitely dont need it.

As for the cardinals, I would personally go with a larger school of them. Somewhere in the realm of 10 should work.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 3 dwarf crayfish with my Endlers. They do not bother the fish at all. But they need lots of hiding places and a diet high in calcium. I feed them Hikari crab pellets and Ken's veggie pellets.

But the angelfish could pick on him. And you need to cover the tank with netting to keep him from escaping

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dude why not keep some more aggressive fish, mollies and crap are lame...

I prefer community fish and have already been down the jaguar cichlid and oscar route. We all have our own likes.

Shrimp and Angelfish wouldn't make a good combo unless you have plenty of cover (I once had Angelfish eat all my Ghost Glass Shrimp in an hour after tank arrival; it was like a big steak dinner haha). Platies could be an alternative to the Mollies if you ever rethink that choice (some Mollies do better in brackish setups). I agree that increasing the Cardinal Tetras would be good. Other than that, unless I missed something, everything looks ideal!

I would hold off on the (balloon) ram for like six months to give him or her the best change. They like mature water.

I bought 8 a few weeks after cycling the 180gal four balloon and four standard gbr. The balloons were the first to die the first week.

Sent from my iPhone

I believe that's a bolivian ram on the list, not a balloon ram ;)

I generally try to avoid the balloon varieties of all fish in general because they've been inbred so much that they usually have loads of health issues... Rams are sensitive enough without adding the typical balloon issues on top of them.

I believe that's a bolivian ram on the list, not a balloon ram ;)

I generally try to avoid the balloon varieties of all fish in general because they've been inbred so much that they usually have loads of health issues... Rams are sensitive enough without adding the typical balloon issues on top of them.

Oops my bad I'm sorry.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom