Are these test results okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just got my API master test kit for freshwater
I used it and got these results
0- ammonia and nitrite
7.6 pH
Are these okay? I was worried because the tank finished cycling 2 months ago but when I put new fish in like i just did they died even though they are drip acclimated.

I didn't do nitrate I didn't get back from the store until 9:30.The fish have been guppies and an oto.

After you cycle a tank nitrate will be dangerously high. Test for it and then do water changes to bring it down as low as possible (preferably below 20ppm).

blert said:
After you cycle a tank nitrate will be dangerously high. Test for it and then do water changes to bring it down as low as possible (preferably below 20ppm).

My results are-
0 ammonia to .25 ammonia over the course of a few weeks- I used test strips before this
0 nitrite
0 nitrate
7.6 pH
Again, this tank has been cycled for two nearly three months

If the tank is cycled I should have at least some nitrates have you recently added any chemicals to the water or done a water change?

Very recently(yesterday) did a 75% change. Why should I need nitrates? I have several plants growing about a cm to an inch a day that I assume are using them all up.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
If the tank is cycled I should have at least some nitrates have you recently added any chemicals to the water or done a water change?

No chems

Did u use prime or anything like that when u did your water change, have you changed filter media recently?

How did you cycle the tank? What steps exactly?
How long has this tank been without inhabitants?
You should be showing nitrate because that is the end point of the nitrogen cycle in our tanks. Yes, plants will use nitrate but you would have to be pretty heavily planted to show zero.

blert said:
How did you cycle the tank? What steps exactly?
How long has this tank been without inhabitants?
You should be showing nitrate because that is the end point of the nitrogen cycle in our tanks. Yes, plants will use nitrate but you would have to be pretty heavily planted to show zero.

Fish in cycling
I did according to an internet article
It currently has seven guppies, one Molly, and one Cory in it
I don't think I did the test properly.
I use tetra aquasafe for water changes

If its anything like prime it detoxifies everything in the water for 24 hours meaning you probably wouldn't show any nitrites or nitrates wait a day or show and check your results again.

Back
Top Bottom