Are these very accurate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not near as accurate as a liquid test kit. API freshwater liquid kit is only like $30 maybe less online. Just save for that one.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Not near as accurate as a liquid test kit. API freshwater liquid kit is only like $30 maybe less online. Just save for that one.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'm going to, just needed something to test the water quickly and this was my only option.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The problem with strips in general are that they are sensitive to moisture and compounds on your hands. The individual pads on each strip are treated with chemicals to produce a certain color when exposed to moisture and various concentrations of the subject of the test (ammonia, trites, trates, pH, etc)

The strips become less accurate over time because each time you open the container and remove a strip, you are exposing the rest to small amounts of moisture and the compounds for which you are testing.

A brand new canister of strips should be inherently as accurate as liquid tests in the right circumstances. Each time you open the container to test, the reliability of your results drops dramatically.

To summarize, if the bottle in the picture is brand new, it should give you a ballpark answer. If the strips are older, I wouldn't trust them to change colors accurately at all.

It's the same basic theory as the dipstick urine tests that your doctor does at the office. It gives a clue, but for accurate results, you go for a direct urine sample measurement.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The API strips tend to under-read for nitrate and nitrites. So if you get a higher than expected reading, it may actually be worse not better.

Ok'ish on ph, kh and gh.

And no ammonia test at all :(

Different brand to yours though.

For the record, I haven't had much luck with Jungle branded products of any kind. I've not used the test strips though.
Also, disagreements are natural in a hobby where people are passionate. I see just as many vehement arguments in my Lionel train forum. As long as the dialogue remains respectful, everyone should be allowed to share his or her experiences.

Back
Top Bottom