Are TopFin tanks reputable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
severum mama said:
Yes, the issue with the 55/75 is going to be the center brace. You got lucky with the 37 gallon because it doesn't have a center brace, so the glass top fits just fine.

37 is a neat size. :)

I love it, just terraced the gravel with some cool DW and plants. It does have a center brace but I get it now, 2 glass tops don't fit side by side. Nice heads up for the future. Thanks!

Oops, I thought it was like a 29 in that it did not have one. The manufacturer must have put one in because of the extra height. :)

Aqueon makes TOPFIN folks, and petco's house brand as well. The topfin tanks are truly AGA's.

Then they use different trim than Aqueon/AGA, or at least they used to. Thanks for clarifying.

I had a 20 gallon top fin kit in the past and it worked fine. Although, I did have to replace the heater after only 6 months. My newer 55 gallon is a marineland and it works great as well. But, I think the filter (biowheel) is better quality and the hood looks sleeker than the top fins. Hope my input helps! :D

And if I'm right I saw a 60 gallon marineland with stand (probably the one you're talking about) on sale at petsmart and it looked really nice. I kinda wish that one was on sale when I purchased my tank.....

Thanks all for the advice. I saw the marineland at petsmart and thought it was too high, but still thinking about it. Craigslist is definitely the next step. SM congrats on the 500g!

Aqueon makes TOPFIN folks, and petco's house brand as well. The topfin tanks are truly AGA's.

It's not at all unusual for a major manufacturer of an item to make re-branded clones for stores or other companies. Many generic drugs, foods and consumer goods are actually made by the major name brands. For instance, there are only 3 major manufacturers of electronics that make 95+% of the equipment that you can buy.

The main differences will often be in the style of the generics and sometimes the quality. From what I know Perfecto, TopFin, All Glass and the like are mass-market grade aquariums. Good for the average hobbyist not wanting to spend a fortune, but not the best you can buy. They are decent mid-grade units. They have been pretty good to me, since I am not rich.

yup, I have 1 topfin tank its a 29g and up next to an aga 210,aga 75, aqueon 40B and an oceanic 75, there is little to no difference in the manufacturing. Top Fin uses the same trim as aqueon does.
Even my perfecto 52 FBH is pretty darn close, without the tags under the bottom trim no one would know the difference.

I just wish Oceanic still made glass tanks.

I don't know if you still wanted to know about higher quality tanks but I know Clear-For-Life (acrylics usually) Mr. Aqua (glass rimless) and Green Leaf Aquariums (also glass and rimless)

Of those Mr. Aqua is the cheapest, but also the "poorest" in quality (still very good quality though)

@Fort, have you seen the ADA superior tanks? ADA Cube Garden Superior - the ultimate, one of a kind rimless aquarium
$400 for 4"X4"X4" tank!

Back on topic: just as far as I know all the brands mentioned above are legit, they wouldn't be so widely sold if they leaked, etc.

I completely agree with Severum Mama on this one. Craigslist is a great resource for this stuff. We found our 75 and our 125 on there and they are nice tanks for way less money! You just have to clean them and I'm more than willing to clean if it saves me a few hundred dollars!

Today I going to look at a 75g I found on, you guessed it, craigslist! They have the entire setup for $380 and unfortunately a metal stand. May just ask for tank light and hood and see what they off. Haven't been this excited since getting my last tank!

My 55 gallon was part of a Topfin branded kit. I bought it in Massachusetts, used it there for about 6 months, I then moved with it 1000 miles to Illinois (the tank went in the back seat of the car we were towing). It's been setup here now since October, 2009.

I'm going to try and get just the tank, stand, light and hood and not all of the other stuff. Wish me luck.

Today I going to look at a 75g I found on, you guessed it, craigslist! They have the entire setup for $380 and unfortunately a metal stand. May just ask for tank light and hood and see what they off. Haven't been this excited since getting my last tank!

Yeah, my wife and I have found some pretty good deals there as well, but you have to move fast. A lot of the good stuff can be gone in literally minutes. My wife also uses Freecycle and Cheapcyle. Finds good stuff in those lists too.

I've never had a problem with tanks I've bought, regardless of maker, but it's the other stuff they include that's junk. Often times the filter, heater, or light will die on those all-in-one aquarium packages. I can't speak to Topfin's quality specifically though.

I've never had a problem with tanks I've bought, regardless of maker, but it's the other stuff they include that's junk. Often times the filter, heater, or light will die on those all-in-one aquarium packages. I can't speak to Topfin's quality specifically though.

Don't ever buy those all-in-one deals unless you really know what you are doing. Those are come-ons designed to get you to buy something. Now if they are willing to let you substitute equipment you choose (with maybe a slight price difference) then that is, dare I say it, a whole 'nother kettle of fish!

Shadowraven said:
Don't ever buy those all-in-one deals unless you really know what you are doing. Those are come-ons designed to get you to buy something. Now if they are willing to let you substitute equipment you choose (with maybe a slight price difference) then that is, dare I say it, a whole 'nother kettle of fish!

da dum tsh

I have the 60 gallon marineland that included the stand and everything. I got it on sale for $239. I think the regular price was $399. it is an awesome tank! You should go to petsmart.com and read the reviews on each of the tanks to help you make in informed decision.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom