Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are we moraly wrong?

I just saw the movie Cove.... I witnessed one of the most devasting acts of human...Dolphins arebeing slaughtered from September-March... It's obvious that that's moraly wrong..... My question is, are we moraly wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know that it's not thier natural habitat?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Sorry if I am missing your point, but I do not see the connection between these issues. Also, many people do not find that morally wrong. Morals are subjective. I am certainly not saying I agree with the practices shown in The Cove, but it is not a given that its immoral to everybody.
But, my answer is that I do not think it is morally wrong to keep fish in tanks. As long as we give them space to grow, proper food, clean water, and do not subject them to excess stress, I personally see nothing wrong with it. Just because it is not their natural habitat does not mean it is wrong. Aquarium keeping provides people with joy, gives some local populations a chance to sell fish in order to make a living, teaches people about fish, allows for captive breeding programs that even extent to fish species which are extinct in the wild. Of course, not everybody is a responsible fish-keeper, but I think I am and I not in any way consider that immoral. JMO though.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #3
come get me tang police!

Fishkeeping is inherently selfish, but keeping pets in general is. With that said I don't find a moral objection to it when it is done with care.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dolphins are not fish. This is an apples-to-oranges comparison.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I can't help but hope that one day everyone will think slaughtering dolphins is immoral. IMO animal cruelty is one of the most heinous things humans are doing on this planet, right after human cruelty, of course.

But as to your question, I don't feel great about keeping wild caught fish. I do have some, and I tend to feel a bit guilty about it. I hope to turn that around by breeding said fish, if possible, and selling tank bred versions. But I really don't like it, and feel a thousand times better about purchasing tank bred fish. I'm really a total bleeding heart for all creatures. I will from time to time look at my parakeets in their cage or my turtle in his tank and wonder..should they even be pets? And who can really say? If we're asking ourselves these questions, chances are we really care about our pets and our taking excellent care of them. I think that's what it all comes down to. Those not taking proper care of their pet, whatever the pet may be, are those who are doing something morally wrong.

There are tons of things about the pet trade that drive me nuts. I do think things could be done better, in a way that's more repsectful to all living beings.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishboy87 View Post
I just saw the movie Cove.... I witnessed one of the most devasting acts of human...Dolphins arebeing slaughtered from September-March... It's obvious that that's moraly wrong..... My question is, are we moraly wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know that it's not thier natural habitat?
I understand that actually seeing the events and practices documented in the movie can make a person reconsider and re-evaluate how animals are treated, including aquarium animals.

And that's probably what led you to ponder whether we are morally wrong for having fish in aquariums when we know it is not their natural habitat. No, I don't think it's wrong to keep them outside their natural habitat.

However, it does make me sad to know many live in bad unhealthy conditions, suffer and die. I don't read the "unhealthy fish" forum anymore, it's too sad, in part because most, or maybe almost all of it is preventable.

If anything, we may be morally wrong for not insisting that the whole industry from breeders to stores to ourselves improve how we treat and care for our fish.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

How is that any different than killing ants, pet birds, mice?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
come get me tang police!

I've never understood the dolphin/whale thing, apart from overharvesting, why can't they be eaten again? Apart from cultural upbringing, what makes people view them different from a cow or something else that we readily eat?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
I've never understood the dolphin/whale thing, apart from overharvesting, why can't they be eaten again? Apart from cultural upbringing, what makes people view them different from a cow or something else that we readily eat?
I agree with you jeta but the argument behind it is that they are self aware non human "beings" like chimps which is kinda understandable
Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

I agree with you jeta but the argument behind it is that they are self aware non human "beings" like chimps which is kinda understandable
+1. I think that's the main problem behind it. They are more intelligent than a cow or sheep or whatever, therefore have different feelings. They may feel pain like us where as a less intelligent animal might not. Not saying less intelligent animals don't feel pain of course.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com