Are white bettas common

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

venymae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been considering getting a betta for my small planted tank and today in petco I can across , not one, but two solid white betta males (one might of had a small spot of black but pretty solid white). One was an elephant ear the other was a delta. They looked a bit rough in their bowls (like all bettas do). I don't often see white though. Is it a common color?

I go to a family owned pet store and they always have solid white bettas the fish room care taker said it depends on the breeder

Aquabid all the way, man.
Pet-store bettas are such low quality and treated so horribly. They ship them in sealed 2 oz baggies and when they get to the store, they're often kept in those baggies in a fridge, in a state of hibernation until they're needed for sale.

Get yourself a show quality betta. Here is the betta section on Aquabid. They have every kind of betta there is.

AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

Contact your local trans-shipper (there are many in the US. Listed on the site.) before you bid on/order a fish.

Landed, you're looking at about $50 to get yourself a quality betta from Thailand via Aquabid, but it's worth it.

I wish!

Get yourself a show quality betta. Here is the betta section on Aquabid. They have every kind of betta there is.

AquaBid.com - Your Aquatic Auction Website

Contact your local trans-shipper (there are many in the US. Listed on the site.) before you bid on/order a fish.

Landed, you're looking at about $50 to get yourself a quality betta from Thailand via Aquabid, but it's worth it.

Haha, no way. $50 is more than I've put into both my tanks combined. I am on a very tight budget. I'm ok with loving a low-quality betta, as long as I think they're pretty -the eyes of the beholder right? I'm not talking about the moral implications of mistreatment, just that I don't need a high quality betta to enjoy it. Also budget:ermm:.

I've seen some white bettas for sale and price depends purely on quality. A show grade white betta would obviously take years to create and cost a lot.

My white male was only $15 but he's very imperfect, in terms of what the betta judges look for at shows.

img_2807376_0_82b50a7caaad5e29e4571f4a0dd5fe3c.jpg

img_2807376_1_5c4c1d66da091754940bd96dccaa3a63.jpg

I bought him locally at a private non chain pet store.
He's not perfect. Nowhere near, but still much higher quality than petco/petsmart/walmart bettas though.

Maybe you can find something similar in your area?

My white male was only $15 but he's very imperfect, in terms of what the betta judges look for at shows.
He's not perfect. Nowhere near, but still much higher quality than petco/petsmart/walmart bettas though.

Your betta is super pretty, I've actually clicked on you profile pic to see him a couple time :) I'm actually not looking for a white betta, I'd just never seen a solid one before so was curious as to if they were common. I'm getting the feel that they are, just not as much as say a blue. Thanks everybody!

:thanks:

Your betta is super pretty, I've actually clicked on you profile pic to see him a couple time :) I'm actually not looking for a white betta, I'd just never seen a solid one before so was curious as to if they were common. I'm getting the feel that they are, just not as much as say a blue. Thanks everybody!

:thanks:

I think blue and red sell the best based on my experience working at an LFS 10 years ago. Nobody ever wants black, grey or white. They just sit in the store until somebody like me or you buys them. That's why they are less common to see in LFS in North America.

My LFS has an absolutely gorgeous half moon all white betta for $50.

I'd bet money they're ripping you off at that price. Even the best show quality bettas on Aquabid rarely hit $50 before shipping. They usually top out at $25-35 USD. I'd bet that half moon at your LFS has split ventrals among other things. They're probably just charging that much because they can get away with it. I'd wager they payed $5-15 to bring it in.

I'd bet money they're ripping you off at that price. Even the best show quality bettas on Aquabid rarely hit $50 before shipping. They usually top out at $25-35 USD. I'd bet that half moon at your LFS has split ventrals among other things. They're probably just charging that much because they can get away with it. I'd wager they payed $5-15 to bring it in.

Actually, his expensive bettas are all show quality ones. He always gives really fair prices on his fish.

img_2818225_0_82b50a7caaad5e29e4571f4a0dd5fe3c.jpg

img_2818225_1_5c4c1d66da091754940bd96dccaa3a63.jpg

Your beta is beautiful, I've been looking for one exactly like him. Is he a plakat?

Back
Top Bottom