Are you prepared?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I may be a bit overboard but I'll admit my OCD keeps me in check for the most part. The point of this thread is I'm curious to know if your prepared. Power outages, suck fish whatever the case may be.

For me I have a QT/Hospital tank 20 gallon for that tank I have a heater and light also a filter rated for up to 50 gallons. All kinds of meds clout etc... Stuff for popeye,ich weather it's needed or not. This was before doing research on the heat and salt treatment. Anyway to stay on topic.

Power loss I have a APC battery backup surge protector and 2 battery operated air pumps to to keep air stones running just incase APC dies if power is out for a long time.

For backups. I have 2 back up filters and 2 heaters, flashlights and a battery LED strip incase I need to inspect fish during power failure all in storage just incase. Nets,food,etc... In bulk just incase.

A bit overboard maybe? But I pre plan that's my job so I wanted to be ready just in case something goes down.

We have a toyota tacoma with an outlet in the bed...lol we could use that!

We have lits of smaller back up filters, a couple small heaters, quite a few bottles of different meds, and ALOT of food. Were pretty good as far as im concerned..

Um...no.

Simply because
a) I can't really spend money on a huge power generator.
b) I don't like to have extra stuff, I'm kind of a messy person, and all my stuff is disorganized in my cabinet already with just one of each.
c) My mom would kill me if I got another tank.

Gboy66 said:
We have a toyota tacoma with an outlet in the bed...lol we could use that!

We have lits of smaller back up filters, a couple small heaters, quite a few bottles of different meds, and ALOT of food. Were pretty good as far as im concerned..

Sounds good! Prepared.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Um...no.

Simply because
a) I can't really spend money on a huge power generator.
b) I don't like to have extra stuff, I'm kind of a messy person, and all my stuff is disorganized in my cabinet already with just one of each.
c) My mom would kill me if I got another tank.

lol love your answer bro... The honesty.

I just recently had a huge power outage and I wish I could say I was as prepared as you. I was blowing air into my tank with my mouth afraid they might die without it. Thank god it was only out for an hour. I wonder how my husband would feel about me getting a generator for my tanks? Lol!

Not sure how many tanks you have or what your set ups are but the battery pumps for the air stones are GREAT!! They can run for hours and the APC battery back up surge protector I really wouldn't recommend. It will run for maybe 30 minutes then that's it. It's always good to be prepared and my line of work I have to be. Explain to him the importance of it an you can pick a good one up at Home depot. Just run it far enough away from the house as to not let exhaust into it causing a CO issue. I wrote an article on CO poisoning during winter storms and hurricanes in a fire magazine a few years back.

EDIT:

If it makes ya feel any better my wife think I'm crazy!!

Interesting idea, I've been thinking about getting battery operated air pumps as a precaution but lately my concern has been strengthening my tank stands since i'm in the quake state aka California. I've been thinking about sinking a bolt into the walls with a harness around the tank for when I'm gone and not worried about appearance.

RedFlame said:
Interesting idea, I've been thinking about getting battery operated air pumps as a precaution but lately my concern has been strengthening my tank stands since i'm in the quake state aka California. I've been thinking about sinking a bolt into the walls with a harness around the tank for when I'm gone and not worried about appearance.

Ah iv never though of this...

I have a generator. Two things I keep going is the Wood burning stove in the winter and my fish tanks. I also have a generator at my shop to keep the tanks going.

You guys must get a lot of power cuts.

We don't get em (rarely!!) over here in the UK, if we do they last a few hours tops.

Not enough time to harm a tank cos I have a bat operated air pump that I can hook to the filter for minimal (but enough) flow.

My area... All over head wires and ALOT of trees. We get hit bad sometimes with some good wind storms and or snow. Saturating the ground and making the trees heavy and there ya go. Tree down on wires and no power. That and the for some reason we get a lot of cars into poles. We just had one the other night. The whole area lost power because a kid decided he wanted to top out his cars speed at 2am. Good thing he was drunk, he lived.

View attachment 66486

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom