Argh!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiskadden

Aquarium Advice Regular
There isn't a mom & pop store within 100 miles of me... is there anyone else who feels my pain? I have a hard time trusting aquabid. All I want to do is be able to walk into a store and pick healthy fish/shrimp...

What does everyone else do? do I have any other options? I don't mind having a qt tank... but I went petsmart and petco (the only physical options I have) and they only have sick bettas. I have a really hard time knowingly buying a sick betta... and looking around, their tanks are clean here but their fish look sick. No dead ones (I couldn't find any anyway) but none that are really active and most look like they have a bit of ich.

Anyone have any ideas on where I can get some reasonably healthy fish? :(

I personally have had excellent luck with aquabid, all the fish have been very and every seller I have dealt with has included extras. I know there are some bad sellers out there, though. Liveaquaria is good, but has mandatory overnight shipping so that can get expensive quickly. Msjinkzd has very quality livestock, she mainly specializes in nano fish & inverts.

+1

If your nearby options aren't acceptable then those would be the places to go. It will cost a bit more tho with shipping.

Think I should gamble on a random color betta? Most are pretty... but I would be sad if I got a yellow one... :( Don't really care for that color. But at least it would be healthy maybe? :blink:

Yeah, yellows aren't really common so go for it. P.S if it is yellow, send it my way :p

lol You live in or near San Francisco? Where do you get yours? Is it crazy to drive for 2 hours for a betta?

I did that for a pair of rats from a breeder once in San Francisco... that didn't turn out so well. My car got totaled. Then when I finally got there and got them, 1 month later I found out one was totally blind and stunted. The other one got cancer (was a male, cancer is a bit rarer in males too) young. Needless to say... she was a bad breeder... for looks and not for health (or personality for that matter). But I did still care for and love them... though they hated my hubby for some reason. :huh:

If you want bettas then I would definitely suggest Aquabid. There are some very good reputable betta breeders on there. I believe that's where the one in my profile pic originally came from.

lol You live in or near San Francisco? Where do you get yours? Is it crazy to drive for 2 hours for a betta?

I did that for a pair of rats from a breeder once in San Francisco... that didn't turn out so well. My car got totaled. Then when I finally got there and got them, 1 month later I found out one was totally blind and stunted. The other one got cancer (was a male, cancer is a bit rarer in males too) young. Needless to say... she was a bad breeder... for looks and not for health (or personality for that matter). But I did still care for and love them... though they hated my hubby for some reason. :huh:

Interesting, how did you know your fish had cancer? What does that look like?

What about Bob's Tropical Plants? Anyone have experience ordering fish from that site?

220px-What_About_Bob_film.jpg

:)

Has anyone here bought bettas from aquabid? If so, from which breeder?

I have gotten three bettas there, one male from an overseas seller whose name I can not remember (I will try and look him up later) and two females from M1247m who is in the us. All arrived healthy and gorgeous. Still have them all. I would avoid the seller Sifu_plakat though. Bought a fish only for him to email me the day he was supposed to ship and told me he had already sold out of that variety and had no fish to send me. He did give a full refund, though.

Back
Top Bottom