Argument over lettuce?!?!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

Rudy_627

ok my dad had me wash some lettuce last night and put it in my tank i did that i washed it VERY well and put it in my tank after i put it in there it stopped moving around and the Male Lyretail Molly went to take a look at the lettuce and if the female would come near he would chase her away and she would go hide in my log so i washed another piece of lettuce and put it in the hole in the log that is in my tank and now none of them are touching the lettuce hopefully i left it in there long enough to get a little algae bacteria to grow

anyone know what i should do?

What type of lettuce are you using. My cichlids like romain but not iceburg. Also not all fish are going to like the lettuce. Even if the species does. Try a different veriety of leaf. :mrgreen: HTH

Yeah, try romaine or curly leaf lettuce, or whole leaf spinach. Iceburg has no nutritional value and apparently even less flavor. Even my mice won't touch the stuff.

Don't leave lettuce in the tank too long. As soon as it wilts, remove it, or it will just break apart and clog your filter intake. :wink:

well, taste iceberg compared to every other lettuce out there. dandelion greens or even beet greens ... hell, why not belgian endive ..... they all have much better flavor then that water like taste of the iceberg. You can also try butterleaf lettuce. it can be cheaper then romaine and generally has nice leaves. it is a very delicate lettuce in taste but it is also really good. its other name is a boston butter and is usually hydroponically grown.

well i know thet the lettuce i have is a leaf letuce not a head lettuce is iceburg lettuce leaf letuce or head lettuce?????

i read up on the molly breeding didnt really help me hopefully i can find a paragraph that worx lol spelling errors

Iceberg lettuce is also called head lettuce.

My veggie-eating fish love baby spinach leaves. In our grocery store, there's a bulk bin of baby spinach. I take one leaf (because it doesn't stay fresh) and give it to my fish that night. You should see the look on the cashier's face when she says "What do you do with just one leaf?" and I tell her :lol: BTW, the one spinach leaf costs 7 cents -- if they can get it to register on the scale!

Rudy_627 said:
ok my dad had me wash some lettuce last night and put it in my tank i did that i washed it VERY well and put it in my tank after i put it in there it stopped moving around and the Male Lyretail Molly went to take a look at the lettuce and if the female would come near he would chase her away and she would go hide in my log so i washed another piece of lettuce and put it in the hole in the log that is in my tank and now none of them are touching the lettuce hopefully i left it in there long enough to get a little algae bacteria to grow

anyone know what i should do?

I don't know, but that's one heck of a run-on sentence. My head hurts.

An t-iasg said:
You should see the look on the cashier's face when she says "What do you do with just one leaf?" and I tell her :lol: BTW, the one spinach leaf costs 7 cents -- if they can get it to register on the scale!
I was a grocery store cashier this summer and I could rarely get anything small, like <2 jalapeno peppers or a small piece of ginger root to register. At that point I would barter with them and just say how's 10 cents sound? lol

LOL

turns out the lettuce IS romaine and they didnt like it so i took it out and fed them the Tetramin flake food it came with and they love it

Rudy,
Try other varieties of lettuce, or the baby spinach leaves. The fish may like it better than the romaine. Also, keep trying a few times -- the first time you put the lettuce or spinach in the tank, they may not try it. Keep offering it until they get used to it and try it.

well the male has been territorial about the lttuce last night but today the female got her revenge and chased him :mrgreen: i was laffing :lol:

There is a phenomenon in animals that they may not eat 'novel' foods. If they have not seen a certain food before they won't eat it right away and you need them to get used to it before they are finally convinced to try it. They moay eventually love it but it takes time for them to recognise that it is food.

The particular scientific paper I read dealt with, of all things, goats LOL :mrgreen: ..... but from what I understand a lot of animals behave in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom