AROWANA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two 3inch arowanas and a 3inch florida gar in a tank. i noticed the other day that the one arowana will just basically kill its food and not eat it, or it will just bite it and let it go. Where as the other arowana will eat whatever i give it. Yesterday the arowana i am having trouble with eventually ate after playing with its food. Today i was having trouble feed him crickets he was just biting them

Young arowanas are very fragile. My experience with them isn't that broad but.....
I've never seen more than one reach adolescence if kept in the same tank without ALOT of swimming space. I think they are very easily stressed. What size tank is this?

Arrowana's require incredibly large tanks as they grow, Unless you plan on spending thousands on a special tank for them... I would suggest finding some place who can take them who has the suitable tanks.

I have a 125 waiting for them when they are big enough to be moved in with the other fish right now they are in a 30 long. still doesnt answer my question though has anyone experienced this with there arowanas, seems like he wont eat he will just kill his food and then a day or two later he will eat while the other will eat everyday.

There are many reasons why a fish might go on a hunger strike. It could be an intestinal disorder brought on by the stress of the move. Hard to say with any accuracy.

I worry less about adult fish that refuse to eat than juveniles. My advice would be to exchange that fish for another one.

The other day I found the smaller gar laying at the bottom of the tank, just staring up at me. I put the divider up and a cricket on her side and after two days she was running full steam. One thing i noticed with arowanas when they are not eating you can see there color gets a black tint to it and you can see that there fins they become real thin. Well when i put the arowanas together they will never leave each others side. When the divider goes up they stare at each other and follow one another up and down the divider. I dont know if i will ever be able to have the two in the same tank.

Some arowana i encounter do play with their food. Arowana also very choosy with their food. Typically they are feed with live fish, cricket or small frog. Once they tried one that they like they will never go for others unless they are very hungry.

One of my friend always cursing of letting his silver arowana tried live frog as his arowana only eat frog now. Where i come from, frog is way more expensive compared to cricket or fish.

Remember when handling arowana, you must not net your arowana. Use a bucket or container to scope it up for tranfer.

HTH

here giant tadpoles are like 50 cents. which is double of feeder fish and 5x forcrickets

i get about 50 crickets for 3 bucks, the only thing about them is that stink. I have them in a ten gallon tank and it friggin reaks.

So dont feed your arowana with frog/tadpole cause if it like froggy then you need to feed it everyday for the next 15 years... :)

which is about $3.00 (6 froggy) per feeding daily!!! :D

BTW is your tank contain gravel? Get thin later of gravel enuf to cover the bottom glass reflection. Arowana's eye will easily develop "looking downward" as it keep looking at its reflection at tank's bottom (consider a grow defect for arowana breeder).

HTH

You sure a 125g tank is big enough for an adult gar and 2 full grown arowana's? Especially if you already have other fish in the 125g, that don't allow you to add juvie gar and arowanas at this time. Sounds like your going to run out of space
quickly as they grow.

BTW.....I do'nt care that I did'nt answered your question. I'm more concerned with the fish as they grow larger.

Back
Top Bottom