Arowana advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigougit

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know that theres been arowanas that have goten over 35" but I'm not sure how big of a tank I would need to house one and what other fish could go with it, if any?

Here's a great site for big fish: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com

My initial guess would be a 125 gal. Width and length are the most important with arowana, I believe. I have seen them housed with oscars, rays, (big) tinfoil barbs. If it can't fit in it's mouth, it might be safe.

Depends on the species of aro, but even a smaller (36") silver or 26" jardini should have a minimum of 250 gallons (and yes, a wide 250 gallons).

also, any tank mates would need to be at least 2/3s their size, and probably very wide or tall as well, Jardinis, dont even bothewr with tankmates. They wont live. In order to survive the jardini, the tannmate would need to be so large and agreessive, it would kill the jardini in retribution.

wow, I'm not sure I have room for a tank that big. I'm also pretty sure my floor isn't level, but I have carpet so I cant be 100% sure. I have a sub-pump in my room but the floor is tilting away from it lol

i need to upgrade soon. my jardini is about 18' and he's in a 24'x24'x48 tank. the only thing that ive managed to keep with him is a red claw cray thats about 7'. he lives in a castle and only really comes out for food. so far no bite marks on tha arow.

250 is even a small tank for them. IMHO I don't think they should be sold as pets at all. A 3' fish is half the length of the tank and would be like keeping an oscar in a 10 gallon tank. It swims its own length and its already bumping the glass on the other side.

well, considering I haven't found a website with a tank over 250g yet and I don't have space for such a tank I think an arowana is out of the question.

I found a website today that had 300g tanks with built in filters lol but their dimensions weren't right for housn't an arowana

Arowanas, for most people, would be pond fish. That is my plans. I would like one, it will go into a pong though, unless Istrike it rich and can build like a 10k gallon tank :/

Jarred Darque said:
Arowanas, for most people, would be pond fish. That is my plans. I would like one, it will go into a pong though, unless Istrike it rich and can build like a 10k gallon tank :/

Arowanas are jumpers. You would likely find your arowana on the ground outside of your pond one day. They do perfectly well in very large aquariums.

I would say 200 gallons minimum. The only tank i've really seen in person that suited one well was well over 400 gallons, even then it was still crowded. What people don't realize, is they do get over 30 inches (which is of course huge)..but in the end most usually don't understand TRULY how big they can be. If you'd liek one, try seeing one in person first then decider later on if it's right for you. I'd love to have one, but only if I got my 600 gallon indoor pond up.

You always see pictures of huge ones in tanks, but you really have to see them in person to understand why they need a gynormous tank.

Jragg, there are ways in ponds to defeat that problem, one is high banked sides, the other, is the fact ath every fish I have ever seen jump outo f water and land on the ground, has found its way back by jumping some more.

If you put a glass cover on your pond then fish couldn't jump out, but then people might walk on it and break it lol

My LFS had a full grown arowana up untill they decided to change locations. It was a beautiful fish and if the tank it was in wasn't attached to another 5 massive tanks I probably would have went bankrupt trying to buy that fish lol I think I've reached my limit on fish though. Until I move into a different house atleast.

i would never trust a 250 gallon class cages tank. the craftmanship of the tank they sent me was horrible.. and when it broke in shipping they were horrible too. If you can't afford a quality tank of that size you should probably think smaller. my dealings with class cages were so bad, american expresss refunded me the money CG refused to give. I had a terrible experience with that compnay.

Back
Top Bottom