Arowana jumping into filter!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maro1107

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Our baby arowana (he's about 3 inches long) keeps jumping into the filter. He's done it twice so far and we have found him swimming in the top filter box (the part that is in the main tank). This morning when I left for work we couldn't find him again. My husband is still looking for him but in the mean time I figured I would ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to cover the box up so that he can't jump into it. After the second time we move it up so that the box almost touches the glass cover but still allows water to flow in but obviously that didn't work. You may laugh, but I was thinking about using a hair net to cover the top of the box and cutting a hole in it for the syphon tube to fit through.

Any other ideas?

Window screen over the opening, securely anchored, would work too. Arowanas are pretty frisky! Tell your husband to check the carpet... :-(

Arowana

Thaiboxer - He was found on the floor. It was after we took apart the pumps and hoses so we're not sure if he fell out of one of the hoses when we pulled it apart or if he was there before and we just didn't see him. I had the tank covered but I know they jump and can knock the glass open sometimes. I feel horrible he was so pretty and the main fish of our tank. :cry:

They are great fish - I really want one badly, but until now haven't had a tank large enough for one. They're spendy, too! I saw some silver ones about 3" long at the LFS a week or two ago for $15 and that's the cheapest I've seen. If they're 12" long here they easily go for $150.

I'm stuck on Oscars and other South Americans right now, but someday will have an Arowana.

Sorry about your loss! :'(

He was a pearl arowana (australian) and we paid $30 for him. We were told he wound get to around three feet long (we have a 135 gallon tank but I was told he would outgrow it).

$15 sounds cheap even for silver arowanas. Of course we got him in San Francisco which is usually a little more pricey but that's the only place we could find pearl ones locally.

I'm really sorry, Maro. That's really frustrating. At least you'll be better prepared if you do get another. I hate learning the hard way when it involves living creatures :(

Back
Top Bottom