arowana Q's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Innovator,

Great point, otherwise there is no real life situation that a tang that can attain a foot long in the would ever only have 6 feet of swimming space. Well said.

However, on this topic, I think everyone agrees, a 55 is not even close to large enough to house any arowana for any amount of time!

Innovator said:
No offense, but if you dive reefs, estuaries, lakes, etc I'm sure you will form a different opinion as far as size appropriation is concerned. If the hobby/profession was based upon growth potentials per specimen per display size cross-referencing wild counterparts including habitats, we most likely wouldn't be keeping many species of fish on a whole. The best we can do, at this time, is justify their living conditions in terms of comfortable surroundings and providing consistent care.
I've snorkeled reefs many times, and just got my scuba license over the summer, where I had to do several open water lake dives. Haven't gotten to dive a reef yet, but I can't wait to :)

Anyway, I still have to disagree with you on this.
I see what you're saying about captive habitat size compared to natural habitat size, and that we can never really match what they have in the wild; however, I don't think we can take the attitude that since we can't truly do justice to any of the fish species, that we might as well do the best we can with whatever species we want.
There is a huge difference between a 5" fish being in a 5' tank, where it can zoom around to its hearts content with plenty of room, and a 2' Arowana in a 5' tank where it can "turn around".
Although neither have nowhere near the room they would in the wild, the 5" fish actually has the opportunity to behave as it would in the wild and satisfy innate urges, whereas the Arowana probably cannot.

Take reef tanks for example; the fish in those setups (if chosen appropriately of course) are able to behave almost completely naturally and interact with their ecosystem as they would in the wild; since many are so territorial, they probably wouldn't even use much more space than they have available to them in captivity anyway. Those are my idea of perfectly appropriate fish to keep.

An Arowana, in a tank too small to swim in, that basically sits around and waits for food, is not natural behavior and is IMO not an appropriate environment.

(Please note that I am interested in this as a discussion, not as an argument).

anyhow.. .look at these picts for tank sizes here in Indonesia. . .

1_586404856l.jpg

and this

1_232826435l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom