Arowanas? anyone know anything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am moving in a few months, and as much as I would love another reef tank my parents cant take care of it, and ill be going to college in 2 years. So, answer me this. How big of a tank do I need to keep arowanas? I can most likely get a 125 for a decent price, and frankly I cant go any larger than that. Can you have more than one arowana in a tank? I really like these odd creatures and would love to get one, but there really just isnt a lot of information on them

A 125 is the recommended minimum size for most arrowanas. Liveaquaria.com recommends as much...

Silver:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=858

Jardini:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=859

They do get to 3 feet, so be aware that they will be VERY powerful fish when mature, and have several friends around to help you if you ever need to move them!!!!

125 should be fine for the arrowanas. They are flexible fish, and won't be stuck moving in place. Mind you, I think when they get that big, their motion in the tank will be quite limited. (Personally, I'd never get a fish that large without a 600 gallon aquarium--but my standards of humane-ness (humanity) are a little high!).

Reflect on this: arrowanas are surface swimmers, so the longer and wider the tank, the better. The height of the tank is of almost no consequence. You might be better with a longer, less capacious tank than a shorter, more capacious tank.

As to compatibility, I'm no expert.

Good luck. Hey, think about getting a Black Ghost Knife fish or an Ornate Bichir for a 125 gallon. They will be more comfortable in there. Here are a couple of links, but look them up on Fishbase.org for better pix:

Black Ghost Knife:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=857

Ornate Bichir:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=861

Let me know what you think about these fish (if you haven't already encountered them). I could also come up with some other suggestions for big fish if you'd like: i.e. gars, tropical eels.

P.S. I assume you know that arrowanas are very costly! You can occasionally find them for $50-$80, but you'll usually pay $150! Note the prices on liveaquaria.com. You might not find better prices elsewhere...

Also, if you're interested in buying online, www.aquabid.com usually has 10-30 arrowanas for sale of varying prices and sizes. Just look under "Live Fish Freshwater" to the category "Arrowana." They have a beautiful little 5-inch specimen going for a yet-unbid-on $10 base price.

Good luck.

Heya d9:

Actually, I've read 180g is the recommended for arrowanas. And yeah, one per tank. Territorial buggers. Big jumpers too; make sure if you do get one the tank is well covered with something heavy; they'll most like pop out of a tank with one of those light plastic covers.

You might wanna check out wetwebmedia's write ups on em if you haven't already: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/osteoglossiforms.htm (btw madasa, the knifefish are also included; you might wanna take a peek too!).

Ok, well, it looks like these things are too big for a 125, and I dont really want a one fish tank. Maybe I will have to look into some other cool fish, or maybe just go SW... thanks guys

Ya, but im not gonna get something I know I cant have forever, and my parents just said they would much rather have more than just one fish. So...I really dont know what im gonna do now

I am guessing you are looking at a more aggressive sort of fish, but what about some discus? You've certainly got the experience to handle the water parameters for these guys; they get nice sized and are lovely. That tank size would be great for em.

I love discus, but remember, this tank will only be mine for 2 years and then its over to my parents, so something easy is in need here. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Bichirs (Polypterus spp.)--consider them at least. They're very cool fish, and are very fun to have--I've had two. They're relatively easy to take care of--you can feed them live food and chopped meat. Get a smaller species, such as Polypterus palmas, but you also have space for a larger species such as the ubiquidous Polypterus senegalus. The ornate bichir (Polypterus ornatipinnis) might be harder to take care of, but don't write it off, as it is a neat species.

AND, given that this is yet another prehistoric fish, it has the same sort of appeal that the arrowanas have.

Also, check out http://holymackeral.net/html/module...&POSTNUKESID=a9f3202ed5d597422917d4d33f88c801 for some cool prehistoric fish ideas. One fish I've seen Ababa selling a lot is the FW lionfish (stonefish).

Sorry, those are lousy pix, I'm afraid... But you can certainly get some other ideas from www.aquabid.com... Don't give up, there are a lot of VERY cool FW fish out there that are available to you if you get a 125 gallon! Here's the aquabid "other" section. I always get a kick out of it (and some ideas). E.g. they had some dwarf malabar puffers (tetraodon travancorius) on there, and I almost bought some.

Don't give up on FW!

I love my arrowana I had 2 of them{Bad Idea}. They were both about 6" long. My more agressie one killed the other. It is kinda a cramped aquarium being 80 to 90 gallon corner tank. My arrowanna now is about 9-10" long. I have had a few in the past....untill i got rid of them due to size of them. He is by far my favorite fish i have ever owned.

I am an amateur at fish tanks really. But i can say a few things. If you buy a baby arrowana with the sac hangin off of their bellies{they have a yolk sac}, they have a hard time surviving unless they have nearly perfect living conditions and not any agressive fish with them.

I recommend getting a 4" or larger one. and their diet is pretty specific. they eat Krill, Beefheart{not too often for many reasons}, they need to eat foods that they dont have to scavenge off of the bottom of the tank or their eyes start to sag and sometimes fall out. Crickets are an excellent food to feed them. My fish is pretty picky he doesnt really like any non live food but will eat it if he has too. I feed him goldfish often times also but my 2 African Redtail catfish typically hog them up.

I promise if you get an arrowana and successful keep him alive and happy he will be the showpiece of your fishtnk and you will love him{her}.

Goodluck!
ps . my arrowana cost me 25$ you just have to ask around at numerous stores until they have one .... otherwise you will pay a premium like 50$
or get a 1" to 2" fish

You could always get an Arowana and when he gets too big sell him back.( They're worth some $change$) nothing says you must keep the fish until death do you part.

well usually when you sell it back its basically killing it unless its a good fish store, and know when not to sell fish.

arowannas here around like 20$ but their pretty small.

freakinjimbob, krap101, this post that is being responded to is over two years old. Please do not refresh posts this old. If it is a topic you wish to discuss, start a new thread.
Thanks

Go wtih some NA natives... a few bluegills would do nice in a 120...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom