Arrowhead puffer/dwarf snakeheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bad Jeff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks to boxing day, "Tony" my Channa Micropeltis has moved into his new 150gal home freeing up a 40gal tank. I have a pair of young Dwarf Snakeheads(2 1/2inches) and a young Arrowhead puffer (2 1/2inch) currently in separate smaller tanks and was wondering if they may be able to live together in the 40gal. Thoughts?

No, the T. suvatti would tear up those C. bleheri in no time...no matter how big they were. Did you get those dwarf's from Chum's during their boxing day sale?

If I am correct...Snakeheads can walk on ground...Do not ever let those things free. They are causing major environment upsets in the U.S. They eat and kill everything.

I could be wrong though as these are dwarfs.

Toirtis, I loaded my Astro van to the "gills" at Big Al's on Boxingday. 150gal, a couple of Eheim 2028's and a a few boxes of other goodies.... great prices. The only fish I walked out with that day were the 2 Dwarf snakeheads. Beautifull little fish!
Also... Toirtis, do I recall a post by you not long ago that you too have a t. suvatti...if so please tell me more about how you sharpen/cut/dull their teeth. (or whatever the proper term is :)

PK... It is a shame what has happened with these fish in the USA. Unfortunately too many people want them but are not prepared to care for them properly when they are mature. It makes me sad. :(

PK Tester said:
If I am correct...Snakeheads can walk on ground...Do not ever let those things free. They are causing major environment upsets in the U.S. They eat and kill everything.

I could be wrong though as these are dwarfs.

These are small guys...maximum length about 5"-6".....and tropical....little chance they would survive here (where temps drop as low as -45ºF in winter)....even if you tried to establish them. Nothing like the coldwater, large northern snakeheads that have been panicking Maryland and environs.

Bad Jeff said:
The only fish I walked out with that day were the 2 Dwarf snakeheads.

How much were they? Chum's has them for $21 each.

Also... Toirtis, do I recall a post by you not long ago that you too have a t. suvatti..

No, but I am quite familiar with them....I had posted that both Pisces Pets and Big Al's had them in.

.if so please tell me more about how you sharpen/cut/dull their teeth. (or whatever the proper term is :)

What Pufferpunk said, although if their beaks are becoming overgrown, someone who is experienced can sedate them and clip their beaks with appropriate clippers.

I have done this myself many times. Look for an article on it in TFH, or at WetWebMedia soon! (Taken from the link I gave you)

Hi teeth are fine right now. I wasn't sure how fast they grow... He is on a proper diet right now so I don't forsee any issues. Thanks for the help!!
jt

Back
Top Bottom