As far as rocks go...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPhilly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When it comes to rocks in my freshwater aquarium, I'm pretty dumb on the creative side. So, I've order plenty of driftwood to have and I thought maybe having some Cichlid stones for some of the hiding fish to have. Is that a good idea?

The cichlid stones are okay. Personally I like lace rock for my cichlids. It fits together very easily to make some nice caves for them. It also looks a bit more natural.

I'm not going to have any Cichlids unless I get Bolivan Rams. I just meant for any fish that likes to duck out of sight every once in a while.

Yeah, it will be fine for any fish tho. My mbuna cichlids are a cave loving fish and its really really easy to make caves with lace rock. I got lucky and found 1 nice sized lace rock with a hole going all the way through it giving me a ready made cave :)

Yeah, it will be fine for any fish tho. My mbuna cichlids are a cave loving fish and its really really easy to make caves with lace rock. I got lucky and found 1 nice sized lace rock with a hole going all the way through it giving me a ready made cave :)

It's hard to find the right rock! Haha!

If you go with the cichlid stones. Don't forget to pull them out every so often and clean them out, especially if you notice nitrates going up.

Dang, that IS lucky!

I may just do plants since I'm second guessing plecos. Maybe just one rubber nose.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the pleco's bio load unless you plan on going with the huge breeds. Most are trivial in a tank that size.

If you like a rubber lip pleco I'd say go for it. They are big while not being extremely massive. They also wont completely take over your tank's bio load. You will have more than enough room for other fish with one of those in there.

If you wanted to punch in their stocking on aq advisor I would say 1 of those would be comparable to 2 Bristlenose plecos for their bio load. Maybe not quite that much.

I just thought I read somewhere that it was one of the smaller of the pleco species. Where can I order fish online?

It is. The rubber lip should get to maybe 8 inches while a bristlenose gets to 5ish. The big plecos get to be well over a foot.

As for ordering online.. live aquaria and aquabid are 2 choices.

It is. The rubber lip should get to maybe 8 inches while a bristlenose gets to 5ish. The big plecos get to be well over a foot.

As for ordering online.. live aquaria and aquabid are 2 choices.

I'm gonna check those out. Hopefully they'll work with me on shipping times so I can be home to receive the fish!

Back
Top Bottom