As of now...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NekoOo

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is what my 55gal looks like. It's been cycling for a week or two and the decor has slowly been accumulating. We have lots of fake plants and after weeks of putting down the idea of slate rocks in, I now believe the tank won't be complete without it! :facepalm:

Not sure if I like the colorful flowery plants, but we probably won't buy anymore decor for a while. :\ maybe they'll grow on me...

Our stocking will consist of:
A medium to large school of tetras, still considering what kind
A group of about 6-10 barbs (still pending)
Two angelfish
One pleco
And if we can make our water pristine, two blue rams.

Would this work? Would this be considered overstocked? Also, not that we'll have the rams anytime soon, but when we do, we don't want them to breed due to the increased aggression. How do we keep them from breeding? Can we keep a male and a female without them spawning?

Attachments

• image-151459177.jpg
    image-151459177.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image-2379367422.jpg
    image-2379367422.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 120
Also, I have a cycling question. Checked the ammonia levels just now, and it's at about 2ppm. Should I dose again or wait till it drops down to 1ppm?

Tank looks fantastic. How long is it taking for the ammonia to zero out? You want to bring it up to 4ppm then ideally you want it to zero out in 24 hours.

You can dose ammonia back up or leave it drop it doesn't matter. As for your future stock I don't think the barbs will work with the angels I recommend that you get a school of rainbows instead. For the tetras get one of the larger ones such as black skirts. As for the rams just get two males or two females. IMO if your water is good enough for angels to thrive you shouldn't have an issue with the gbrs.

Also make sure you get a bn pleco or similar stay away from the larger ones such as common plecos.

Thanks for the compliments!

Since dosing up to 4ppm about two weeks ago, this is the first time I have seen the ammonia drop.

I definitely don't want any fin nipping so barbs are out!! I also love the idea of black skirt tetras. Maybe we will get two schools of tetras, something like neons or rainbows and black skirts. I want the contrast in body shape. Also, it's good to hear that if the water conditions are housing angels without problem, that the blue rams should be okay.

If I get two males will they be territorial even though there is no female?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the compliments!

Since dosing up to 4ppm about two weeks ago, this is the first time I have seen the ammonia drop.

I definitely don't want any fin nipping so barbs are out!! I also love the idea of black skirt tetras. Maybe we will get two schools of tetras, something like neons or rainbows and black skirts. I want the contrast in body shape. Also, it's good to hear that if the water conditions are housing angels without problem, that the blue rams should be okay.

If I get two males will they be territorial even though there is no female?

Thanks!![/Q

Im sorry to say that the neons will not work the angels are likely to eat them in the future. Two male gbrs should be fine in a 55.

Good to know! So, would rummy nose tetras be out too? Or are they bigger and more acceptable to be housed with Angels and rams?

If you go with 2 male rams a 55gal will offer enough space to keep territorial aggression to a minimum, especially with the decor you have breaking up the line of sight.
Good luck! Gbr's r awesome!

After looking up the rainbows, I love them! :D best of all I think my dad will too. Do thy get along with the angels and rams and how big a school could we get in a 55?

Cichlid Kid said:
If you go with 2 male rams a 55gal will offer enough space to keep territorial aggression to a minimum, especially with the decor you have breaking up the line of sight.
Good luck! Gbr's r awesome!

Thanks for the info! We will be adding slate rock to either the left corner or the middle to offer some more cover. I wanted a cichlids tank but my dad wanted a community. The gbr Is the only reason I'm satisfied jk. I think cichlid personality and behavior are very entertaining and I am interested to see the schooling fish do their thing as well.

calfishguy said:
Yes they will be fine with your stock what type of rainbows were you looking at.

The only ones I saw were the purple/blue headed ones that fade into yellow. The rainbow boesmani?

The red Iranians were a bit dark but I like the reddish highlights.

Honest response is ditch the blue fake plant in favour of another more realistic colouring.

+1 on the Angels and neons. They will be expensive snacks. Lol.

As for redosing ammonia. I would only redose once the ammonia hits 1ppm or below. However long this takes.

It's also a lot easier to over dose if you're adding before it gets low.

Jon

Also.

I'm assuming that you are looking at tetras for colour but have you considered a more plain coloured tetra. Such as the Penguin Tetra, I have a school of 7 in my 50g.

Great little fish.

Jon

jondamon said:
Honest response is ditch the blue fake plant in favour of another more realistic colouring.

+1 on the Angels and neons. They will be expensive snacks. Lol.

As for redosing ammonia. I would only redose once the ammonia hits 1ppm or below. However long this takes.

It's also a lot easier to over dose if you're adding before it gets low.

Jon

LOL I agree that bright blue plant is a bit of an eyesore. I think the fish will enjoy a more natural look as well. ^^

Looked up penguin tetras and I like them! Interesting black stripe. I am compiling a list of all my options and then my dad and I will have to agree and eliminate all but two different species.

Thanks for your honesty!

Let us know what u decide on and we can help with the amount of each. I will also warn you that with that many fish a 50% water change will have to be performed once a week if not more often to keep your water prestine.

calfishguy said:
Let us know what u decide on and we can help with the amount of each. I will also warn you that with that many fish a 50% water change will have to be performed once a week if not more often to keep your water prestine.

Heh, once a week or more is pretty normal for me at this point. For the last few months I had a 10gallon w/ 8 comet/common goldfish and was doing 50-75% pwc every other day and sometimes everyday. Thankfully they have been re homed to a pond and I have learned a few lessons from the experience. :) will keep updating thanks so so much!

Back
Top Bottom