asian bamboo shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartmyed9

Aquarium Advice Freak
Never even knew these existed until today. He's cool looking in a hideous sort of way. What y'all think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111101_182356.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111101_182356.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 112
One of the creepiest coolest shrimp I've seen! A lot of people like them but i've heard they are problematic because they often don't get enough to eat. They are filter feeders I think.

I have a couple of them, as well as the larger vampire shrimp, which is even more hideous/cool. They are very prone to starvation as it's hard for them to filter enough food in most aquariums. Depending on what size tank you have him in, you should supplement with micro foods for filter feeders. Also they are social and do much better when kept in a pair or group.

I think they look pretty awesome. They do tend to do better in larger mature tanks, due to the availability of microorganisms. I've heard they can be fed algae wafers or ground up flakes, not sure how successful that is though.

--Adeeb

I was told there more solitary. Where would I find such food? My tank is a 55 gallon. I've had it for 4 months. My amonnia stays at 0 ppm. I would test more parameters but I've run out and need to buy more.

No, that's not the case. Get a 1-2 more and you'll see they are together most of the time. A mature 55 gal with a strong flow and good platform for them to filter from can probably support 3 without supplementation. You'll know if they need it if you observe them picking at the substrate with their fans. To supplement you can use something like OSI invertebrate micro food, finely crushed spirulina wafers/flake, and bottled phytoplankton supplements (typically for SW tanks).

Mine is always hanging upside down from my driftwood collecting food, and the second one hiding somewhere nearby.

I am wondering when young are they mostly white? Mine are white.

siva said:
I have a couple of them, as well as the larger vampire shrimp, which is even more hideous/cool. They are very prone to starvation as it's hard for them to filter enough food in most aquariums. Depending on what size tank you have him in, you should supplement with micro foods for filter feeders. Also they are social and do much better when kept in a pair or group.

Vampire shrimp are most creepy of all. What's it like having them?

At least bamboo shrimp aren't dangerous to fish, unlike craycrays!

Mine is always hanging upside down from my driftwood collecting food, and the second one hiding somewhere nearby.

I am wondering when young are they mostly white? Mine are white.
They come in all different colors, but I've never seen white! Mine were already a couple inches when I got them, so I can't say for sure. They do change colors sometimes though, and when I purchased them they were very different colors but once together in my tank they synced up. :)

Get a crayfish! Much better!!!

View attachment 59158
Well, they already have the shrimp, and the cray would eat it, so that makes no sense.

Vampire shrimp are most creepy of all. What's it like having them?

At least bamboo shrimp aren't dangerous to fish, unlike craycrays!
It's really not quite as interesting. Mine is always in hiding. I next to never see it. :(

Back
Top Bottom