Atypical tiger barb behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbless

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, this may not be unusual but it seems strange to me...
One of my tiger barbs disappeared one day about 5 weeks ago. I had assumed it had died and was eaten as I did not see the corpse. I continued my water changes as usual and thought very little about it except the usual sadness at a loss of a fish.

About 4 weeks ago I thought I saw the fish one evening prior to turning off their lights but then didn't find it... must admit thought I was seeing one of the other ones (a smaller one) from an off angle which made it look bigger.

Then I was "cleaning" the tank and vacuuming the gravel near my planted corner of my tank when I saw a flash of orange and black... lo and behold there is my Tiger barb hanging out behind the plants. I have now checked on him almost daily and he has not left the area (when I check) for about 2-3 weeks. Not even during feeding time. He appears healthy... just not sure about the behavior and the duration he has spent in that corner

Anyone with any thoughts?

Maybe your he, is really a she. She could be pregnant and hiding out in peace before she delivers her load of fishies!!
just a stab in the dark...

There is also the possibility that it has went blind. One of my oscars was fine, until one day I noticed it hanging on one side of the tank all the time. It still hangs on that side, almost 2 months later, and is totally blind. It looks completely healthy, although I never see it eating at the top with the others, one night I sat down and turned the lights off after feeding and saw that it is eating off the bottom, just like a bottom feeder. Now that it has been a while, it will come out and eat with the lights on off the bottom. Even though it can't tell the difference between the tank being dark or light, the activity from the other fish in the tank at feeding time with the lights on was what kept it "scared" to begin with. So noew he eats carnivore pellets and shrimp pellets with my catfish :).

thanks for the responses,
As to he or she... guess I have no idea lol but no eggs yet and I believe they are egg layers, I'll keep an eye out though
As to the blindness, never even crossed my mind! I haven't been able to see the fish well enough to check it's eyes, I know it hangs out with my pleco now and doesn't school with the other barbs. I did recently catch it out again during daylight time but the second I was in the area it tore off to it's usual place.

Does anyone think I should rearrange the plants to make it less "hidey" or leave the fish to it's devices?

Yes, that might help, he/she could be very shy or very intimidated by something, My TB's are out constantly. if they are hiding that means the angels were fighting.

Does she have any tank mate like other tiger barbs? if so maybe she is just pregant or shy but that is not typical tiger barb they are notorious fin nippers

Is your tank in a high traffic area? I have my tank in the kitchen and it took my black skirts around the amount of time yours has been hiding to really get uses the flow of traffic in and out of the area. Just a thought

Back
Top Bottom