Aug-Sept: Let's hear about the bargains you've found...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok folks, if you come across some excellent deals, bargains, specials sales coupon codes etc...here is your place to share with fellow aquarists. Seen a price online, that is too good not to share? Well, put it here. This applies to LFS as well, make sure you tell us where we can save some money :jump:

i dont know if this would be considered a bargain, but i would like some input before i go ahead and get it. its a two year old 90gal in great condition that comes with:

a stand made by a friend of the owner (looks very sturdy)
an eheim professional II
an emperor filter (needs some cleaning)
hood (not in good shape, i'll probably get rid of it)
a lot of african driftwood (he says worth 90+)
gravel and lava rocks
python
automatic feeder and digital thermometer
plus all the chemicals, filter pads and misc left over...

its going for 400... i think that sounds good, but i would like to know what any of you think

Madkour: It sounds like this tank is a good deal. Perhaps it would help to break the price down into its component parts...

tank: used, $100; new: $150-500
a stand made by a friend of the owner (looks very sturdy):let's say $50
an eheim professional II: $165+ new
an emperor filter (needs some cleaning): if a 400, at least $55 (prob.
much much more...
hood (not in good shape, i'll probably get rid of it) = $0
a lot of african driftwood (he says worth 90+): let's say $90
gravel and lava rocks: Let's say $60
python: at least $30
automatic feeder and digital thermometer: at least $25
plus all the chemicals, filter pads and misc left over... prob $50-100

So, an absolute minimum subtotal (for the items, when new) of:
$150+$50+$165+$55+$90+$60+$30+$25+$50, or $675. Probably a lot more. I've seen some "complete" set-ups like this for about $1000 new-- and these often include lower-quality components so the retailed makes money... Sounds like you're getting a very good deal!

Hope this helps.

For My Part:
I think Dr. Foster and Smith is a great site for good deals on aquarium-related items. i.e. they sell the Penguin 330 for $21!!!! (I bought it for $56 at Petco.) And the Fluval 404 for $110! Check them out at http://www.drsfostersmith.com.

"www.liveaquaria.com" is another site in the Dr. Foster and Smith empire, which has a fantastic array of fish for sale (even sharks, seahorses, rays if you're crazy enough to buy them!). The fish aren't all that cheap, but the selection is hard to beat.

Also, on a local scale (NYC), I'm impressed by Petland Discounts' price on a 55-Gallon tank and stand--$90.

I don't know if this qualifies as a bargain, but i was at my lfs the other day and I bought a fish that was suppose to be $7.99 and the cashier only charged me $3.99 for it. I would have said something about it, but it was the store owner who rang in the sale and I thought maybe they just thought I was cute :)

thanks madasafish, that was a lot of help. i think i'm going to go for it. Regardless i'm going to need more space to grow out about 60 cacatuoides fry, so if i can do it while saving money all the better :D

Another deal i got was when my bumblebee cat ($4) ate one of my female cacatuoides ($10). She was at least half his size, but he somehow managed to fit her into his mouth. i took him to my lfs where they usually give half credit on fish you want to sell back. i should have gotten 2 dollars for him, but the guys there took pitty on me and i ended up getting 6

Any other good deals??

I've found www.bigalsonline.com has really good prices on filters/pythons etc. I'm going to order a couple of pythons soon. Their Fluval 404s go for a mere $89.99!!

Wow!

i'm going to superpetz today to pick up a 55 gallon for $64. i'd say its a steal. Its going to sit in the basement for a while, as i don't have any immediate use for it, but i can't pass up the opportunity. sale goes until the 6th if you have one near you. hope they still have one today.

I just went to FinDig 2003, the largest fish convention west of the rockies. They had the type of auction that made you want to scream because you didnt have any room for fish. I did get a mated pair of Neolamprologus Multifactius and 3 of their shells for $9, and a mated group of 3 multies for $14. Not too bad.

Dr.Danio said:
i'm going to superpetz today to pick up a 55 gallon for $64. i'd say its a steal. Its going to sit in the basement for a while, as i don't have any immediate use for it, but i can't pass up the opportunity. sale goes until the 6th if you have one near you. hope they still have one today.

64 DOLLARS?!?!!?!

THATS WHAT I PAID FOR MY 30GAL TANK!!

*sits in the corner, feeling as tho he had just been ripped off* :oops: 8O :? :(

Back
Top Bottom