Austrailian/new guina bio type aquareum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livefishguy124

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i have decided to start a Australian/new guinea bio type aquarium, with mainly rainbow fish. have a 29 gallon aquarium and am wondering what kinds of rainbow fish, bottom feeders and other fish i can put in there, i also need plants, this is a bio type aquarium so only fish from Australian or new guinea.

1 of my lfs has tank setup like the 1 you speak of, i was thinking of an excuse to swing past there today, i can ask whats in it if you like, maybe even take a pic?.

Look into the gudgeons, empire, peacock those type. All them Is from New Guinea I believe.
If you're looking into bigger versions check out the purple spotted gudgeon, the suckers get pretty big.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

yea im looking for fish that will be happy there whole life i don't know if i can upgrade these tanks and i don't like to change the tanks. so i don't have to have the big 6 inch ones im happy 4 or even 3 inch ones

1 of my lfs has tank setup like the 1 you speak of, i was thinking of an excuse to swing past there today, i can ask whats in it if you like, maybe even take a pic?.

sure that would be great

So i went past the shop, i was there just after opening ( im in australia btw ) hes pulled the tank down and put another display in its place, sorry mate

As already suggested peacock gudgeons are a good choice, but if you want rainbows, you'll need to stick with threadfins or a pseudomugil species.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

A possible stock list is:

6 neon dwarf rainbows
10 furcata blue eyes
2 peacock gudgeons

This idea is awesome, easily one of the most over looked biotopes out there. For starters I think your biggest problem will be find stock thats available to you unless you of course live here in aus. Peacocks and psuedos as mentioned are probably your best bet as well as darwin algae shrimp, glass fish and gobies.

plants wise theres alot out there, and the aqua green catalog is a good guide.

following along cause i want to see how this turns out...goodluck

This idea is awesome, easily one of the most over looked biotopes out there. For starters I think your biggest problem will be find stock thats available to you unless you of course live here in aus. Peacocks and psuedos as mentioned are probably your best bet as well as darwin algae shrimp, glass fish and gobies.

plants wise theres alot out there, and the aqua green catalog is a good guide.

following along cause i want to see how this turns out...goodluck

Just saw the barra looking more closely! I did ask on shipping into WA as prices looked good but apparently it's two hours of paperwork...

Just saw the barra looking more closely! I did ask on shipping into WA as prices looked good but apparently it's two hours of paperwork...

I've seen barramundi, Murray cod, various perches all for sale. All fish that don't belong in an aquarium. Barras, cod, Goldie's all get big, really big! You've seen the footage of the four foot cod cruising around a lot haven't you.

If the tank was larger i'd suggest jungle perch or a Saratoga or bass which would be cool. Would love to have a setup with a toga or bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It would be nice to do a native setup. A friend was doing perch in outdoor water tank ponds but he shifted them and it all sprung a leak somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom