Australian rainbow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

plecostomuch

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed at my local Pet Smart that Australian rainbow fish were on sale $1.70. They didn't mention what kind of rainbow fish and I know there are many but this just stated Australian rainbow fish Rainbowfish - Fish - Live Pet - PetSmartand I was wondering if they were a good purchase?
As a side note albino cory are also on sale for $1.00 each. I already have an albino bristlenose pleco but honestly albino colors (or lack thereof) look really cool under the blue LED lights that I have.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want rainbows I'd look for a smaller species like furcata or Gertrudae rainbows

The "Australian Rainbowfish" they sell... that aren't the Boes or Turq... are Eastern Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia splendida). I bought 5 a few days ago. Think all mine are females, not to colorful, with orangish spots, and black tips on the fins.
But, all in all, they seem rather peaceful and don't bother my GBR or cory's (though sometimes try stealing the cory's food, if they kick it up to much)... also they seem a bit shy, when I approach the tank they dart off and hide... but when it's feeding time, they dart out get some food, retreat, and repeat, till full.

Nice! what size tank?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Mines a 29 g. as well. I've had one for about 8 months, and it's only about 2.5", and the ones I just bought, range from 1" to 2" at the moment. They probably aren't ideal for the tank size... so I might be a terrible person for having'em

I have a school oImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391282790.545433.jpgf 8 dwarf neon rainbows in my 36bf. They're beautiful and entertaining and would be better suited for your 29 I think.
They're hard to get pictures of because they're so active, but here's the best one I could get.
The males have bright red fins and will swim in front if the females and show off. For this reason you want about twice as many females as males. I have 5f 3m and they get along great.

frn2.jpg

There's three that you can see in that picture... two are blurred on the left side of the castle... they don't look out of proportion to the tank size... but I'm no fish scientist

I have a rainbow tank with eight, bosemani, turquoise and Australians . The Australian you mentioned doesn't get any colors but a nice fish over all, I have a male that grew well over 3 inches. Rainbows show their colors once you give them a good home and once they grow. They seem to do well in groups.

Back
Top Bottom