Auto top off system and tap water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my experience, having a fully covered tank helps a ton. I had a canopy with the break out sections on the back for putting things like filters on the back. I switched to one that covers all of the tank, including the back, and now have an internal filter. I went from losing a gallon or two (at least) per week to never needing to top off outside my normal water changes. And, admittedly, I've slacked a bit recently on water changes and have gone far too long without doing one. Point is, lost virtually no water with the top completely covered even when going a month (perhaps more... please don't yell at me :p ) without a water change or topping off.

I was cautioned though that sealing it as tightly as I have it sealed could create problems such as PH crashes and lack of oxygen. I haven't really seen lack of oxygen issues, but have had a few PH crashes. But, like I said, I've been slacking recently and so that probably has more to do with my PH problems than how tightly I have my tank sealed. So, if you want to keep evaporation to a minimum cover the top as much as you can. Just make sure to keep up on your water changes. :)

Yeah I have a canopy coming Thursday and I would like to see how much of a difference it makes.

Back
Top Bottom