Avacado puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone ever keep these? I've had mine for two days and i have yet to see him eat. He's ain a 10 gallon by himself and the water is slightly brackish.

What are you feeding him...I read or seen somewhere or something that a half dozen those puffers could clean a dead goldfish which I find really cool :)

Puffers are ravenous eaters and you'll have to be very careful about over feeding. 2 days without food wont hurt it, but who knows how long it had been since it ate last. If it does start feeding, make sure you only feed every other day. Most puffer owners do this. I fed my F8 on a daily basis and it ultimately factored into his death.

Back on topic, each puffer has it's on personality. Some are very picky eaters, where others will eat anything. It's not uncommon for a puffer to not except any thawed frozen foods. I'm not 100% sure but every time I've seen avocado puffers they've been just chillin' at the bottom of the tank and not swimming around. Might it be these are ambush hunters? Try out some live ghost shrimp and see if you get results.

But to get better help...

Get all your water parameters together, including water temp and pH, and make a post on www.thepufferforum.org where you will get a little more expert help on this subject. Good Luck. Maybe ask the LFS to feed the fish next time before you buy them so you can ensure a healthy pick.

Nevermind he started eating, tnaks for the info though, but one of the is being a fin nipper and it keeps trying to bite the other one.

Joey17 said:
Nevermind he started eating, tnaks for the info though, but one of the is being a fin nipper and it keeps trying to bite the other one.

I thought you said your puffer was alone in a 10g. If he's not you need to revisit the basics of keeping puffers. Puffers should be kept alone, or in species only if the tank is large enough to accomidate multiple puffers and heavily planted in order to divide territories. You really don't want them to see each other or the fighting will begin.

There are some puffers that are said to be an exception to this rule. I have often times been told that Ceylon puffers are the least nippy of the commercially traded puffers. The thing about puffers is that each one has a different personality. Some will do just fine with tankmates where another will just be a jerk and kill everyone. They are even capable of killing fish much larger than them by picking them to death over time.

A lot of people I know don't keep puffers because they need to be kept alone and this just doesn't appeal to most people. Typically no tankmates, no inverts, sometimes no live plants. Chances are if you have 2 puffers now you'll soon only have 1.

Don't take my word for it. Double check my information and see if you can find differently a majority of the time.

Yeah, i kinda got another one. I guess i'll have to seperate them right away then.

I made the same mistake with my dwarf puffers, not sure if avacodes are the same but my bigger one eventualy killed the smaller one. I gave my bigger puffer to a friend who is keeping him in a 5 gal by himself.

Joey17 said:
Yeah, i kinda got another one. I guess i'll have to seperate them right away then.

These things happen. It might be cool if you got like a 20G long or something and divided it down the middle. Then you wouldn't have to care for 2 different tanks.

Back
Top Bottom