Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

My experience with them is limited to e-mail correspondance and phone conversations, but for me, that was enough. I live in the same town that they do, but they insist on shipping to me for $14. They use a same-day courier service, but pack the fish up the night before, and when I wondered if they packed the fish (especially delicate ones) the same day, they said no, they packed them the night before. Then they told me that it was the same amount of stress on the fish for me to come up, get them, and drive them home (a 15 minute trip) as it was for the fish to be boxed, sit in the box all night, then come by courier.

Their policies are questionable, the tone on their website is unprofessional and condescending, and I just can't convince myself to order from them. I'm really glad to hear that some people are having good luck with them, however.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to sherry
AZ gardens is good about offering credits on livestock, but you are right most of the time you are responsible for the shipping charge...if there is a total disaster, I'd still try to negotiate for replacement with shipping. Clearly a box of dead shrimp is ridiculous

for shipping you need to assume at least $40 since they use fedex overnight only. You can always call them and tell them they need to estimate shipping for you before you can order. they will when pressed. they don't give you charges up front, because tehy don't take anything from teh shipping. They just foward the fedex cost.

I think it is expensive too.

I have actaully offered to rewrite that web site for them... since I agree the tone stinks. It is really a hodge podge of memos written after each misunderstanding that has occurred over the years.. They are trying to be clear. I think it doesn't work either.

the plants are great. If you can split an order with a friend.. or insist on two day shipping, the costs become worth the bother.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Plants have shipped overnight, will be at my work tomorrow. But still no receipt on shipping charges or from my bank account yet. Will let you know how everything arrives tomorrow.

Since it's being shipped to a my work, wonder if it will be any cheaper. I've had other things shipped overnight to my work, and was definitely cheaper than shipping to my home. Not sure why it's cheaper shipping to a business. hmmm.....
Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
There is a surcharge for residental delivery and for the extra money the don't require a signature and they can get it there by six instead of 10:30. Makes perfect sense right?
Old 02-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

So will I get billed the same way as paying for the plants? Or will I expect a bill from the FedEx guy when I get the plants at work? lol.

Edit:

Went to my bank account, and it's not posted yet. But I did notice my amount available is less than the ledger balance, and I elieve it's the shipping, as it's fairly expensive, lol. Will let you know for sure tomorrow when it's posted.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:07 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, here's my evaluation....

1. Didn't get all I ordered, there were a few switches.
2. Some of the plants were not in good shape. The Hornwort was brown and falling apart. I rinsed it as much as I could and placed them in my 55G and 26G. What a mess, lol.
3. The hair grass, dwarf sword, and clover were full of duckweed. I think that's what it's called. Small green pods with a root under them that float on the top.
4. The creeping mint was actually turning yellow, don't know if it will survive.
5. The different vals were in excellent shape.

Overall, the selection wasn't bad, but I think could have been a little cleaner, or better prepped. Will let you know more tomorrow when I have better lighting. May need to do some replanting.

Also, do they credit your card for plants not shipped? The total they charged me was just over 20.00 more than the total on the paperwork that came with the plants. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com