Azoo Malaysian Driftwood from DrsFosterSmith???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought both the African and the Malaysian driftwood from DrsFosterSmith. The pieces are very beautiful.

The African driftwood was very, very dark. I soaked it in a bucket of hot water, changing the water twice a day, for a month. I had a neighbor boil it for me, for a few hours at a time, for 3 or 4 days. I then soaked it in the bucket again for a week. Then the water was finally clear!

The Malaysian wood was not so dark. It seemed a little softer, though, and left little "crumbs" at the bottom of the bucket. I soaked it for two weeks and boiled it once for about 2 hours.

When I ordered the Malaysian piece, it was much too big. I called and told them I didn't order a piece that big. I told them it was for a 5 gallon tank. They immediately sent me a smaller piece for no additional charges!

Thanks for the comments.

Being that I can't specify the shape, I was considering ordering the driftwood that was screwed into the slate of rock from bigalsonline.

I think those shapes are more consisttent with the pcitures.

What do you think about those? To me, it doesn't look as natural, but Id imagine it would darken some with age.

Is that the whitish, "bleached" looking wood? I think that kind would be fine. That's the kind the hatchery I go to just got in. I was thinking about picking up a piece of it also the next time I go.

I'm sure that even if the manufacturer/supplier doesn't specify, it is always a good idea to treat your wood before introduction to a tank. I just makes sense since you cannot be sure of what other nasties may be laying on it during processing, handling etc...not to mention the tannins. IMO.

Back
Top Bottom