Babies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vikesfankevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know its nothing special but my Guppy gave berth. Its exciting to me. Its my first time with fry. The power went out for 2 hours and when it came back on I had babies. I'm not doing anything special to help them live but I hope at least a couple make it. Bad news is my tank is cycling...But hey if 1 makes it I will know it is a strong fish.

Is there any way you can separate the fry from the rest of the fish like with one of those little enclosures that sit inside the tank or anything? I think Guppy will eat their own offspring if given the chance...

Is there any way you can separate the fry from the rest of the fish like with one of those little enclosures that sit inside the tank or anything? I think Guppy will eat their own offspring if given the chance...

Sorry if this sounds kind of cruel but I kind of want that to happen to some of them because I dont want to get over populated with guppies, however I do have java moss and this floating log thing that nothing goes in so they do have hiding places.

Hey that's cool with me, it's your tank! I guess that's just natural selection at work...

I think I'm probably a bit soft, but I really don't like the idea of fish eating their fry and certainly couldn't watch it. I think I'd probably do all I could to separate the fry from the adults and do my best to help them survive, then take any unwanted youngsters to my LFS for them to sell once they're big enough.

Hopefully some day I can get another reasonable size tank which I can use to separate the fry but for the time being I'm trying to stick to just having male fish!

Hey that's cool with me, it's your tank! I guess that's just natural selection at work...

I think I'm probably a bit soft, but I really don't like the idea of fish eating their fry and certainly couldn't watch it. I think I'd probably do all I could to separate the fry from the adults and do my best to help them survive, then take any unwanted youngsters to my LFS for them to sell once they're big enough.

Hopefully some day I can get another reasonable size tank which I can use to separate the fry but for the time being I'm trying to stick to just having male fish!

I think in the future I might do that but I don't even have another tank set up. So far it doesnt look like anything is bothering the fry tho. There are a few in the java moss and the rest are up near the floating log. I havent seen a fish near them yet.

oh im the same way but now we have 14 molly fry in the 10 gal they are 5 weeks old 2 swordtail fry 5 weeks 2 platy fry 3 weeks and 5 swordtail fry 3 days old.....and platy is due again soon and so is the molly!!!! HELP!!!!! We cant catch them all and we say thats it no more but if we see one we catch it and put it in a breeder.....oh and we have 4 molly fry that are now 3 months in with the big tank from her 1st batch

I will keep a count of fry I have. last night I counted 14 and today I counted 17 but I have no idea how many got deep into the java moss. Is this an averge number for a batch? Most of them look like they are already too big for the guppy to eat. The guppy is the biggest fish in the tank I think would eat them but I think they are even too big for her to eat.

Alright we have java moss on this hollow floating log that only gets used by the temeki, java moss mid tank and java moss on the bottom of the tank. Good luck little ones!

If you have any serious amount of java moss, you will have survivors. Guppies will have from 20 to about 50 fry depending on the age and size of the mother.

Well it appears she had about 20 and almost all of them are still alive. I have nothing that eats them. They are swimming freely. They are quality guppies I got from my friend some I can trade some of them in I think...Also my sister has a turtle tank that could tank a few. I think I will put a few nice ones in my new 10 gallon :)

Back
Top Bottom