Babies, babies and more babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinES

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I'm just checking in again. I don't think I have been on for a couple of months now. Life has been really busy. I have a crazy school schedule and I have a baby due in April. I know I mentioned before that I have a 55 gallon but without getting into details I got rid of all the fish and started over. The tank was in the babies room and needed to be moved and the room needed to be painted. I gave my fish to the LFS. They actually gave me store credit, almost 100 dollars worth for them. That was nice because I just wanted my fish to have a good home...
On to the babies...
If you guys don't remember I had a 29 gallon with some neons and cardinal tetras and then some guppies and platties. For my clean up crew I got some ghost shrimp.
Well I had babies in the first few days from the guppies and then soon with the platties. I lost a platty and 2 guppies and go figure they well the only ones I bought from Petco. I normally don't go there but I wanted some different "blood" so there isn't as much inbreeding.
Well I got to the point where I had quite a few babies and moved them to a 20 gallon. Since then I have got my 55 up and running and put the babies up there. As of right now my 55 has about 35 guppies/platties. It is so much fun. A lot of different colors and sizes. I got a couple more fish from petco but I also have a gift card from another LFS that I am going to get more fresh blood from.

But that's not all!
I bought around 6 or 7 ghost shrimp because they die quickly and they are hard to see with all the hiding places in my tank. Well at the moment I can count 4 ghost shrimp that are around 2 inches long (Huge, I know) and today I noticed 2 ghost shrimp that are about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch long. I haven't got shrimp for a couple of months...that leaves only 1 explaination...My Ghosts are breeding.
And I also bought some Red Cherry Shimp. I have 4 of them. 2 males and 2 females. Well big mama cherry shrimp is laying eggs as we speak.
I also have a snail that lays eggs, but they don't hatch.
Basically in my 29 down here I have baby guppies, platties, ghost shrimp and hopefully some cherry shrimp.
So many babies in this house!

my congratulations to you....LOL...that is a lot of babies. Good thing you have all the place to put them in...:)

Good thing not all of them wear diapers...yikes! Great idea though, with the lfs :)

Since I am board I may as well tell you guys about my breeding experience so far...
Most of the babies I have now are from females that were pregnant when I got them. My tank is kind of an experiment to see what colors and combos I get and what colors are dominate and stuff.
My first generation of babies that I know are from the fish I bought is a batch of platties. I have a pure orange female and a dark red male with a black tail and black around the eyes. Well I just ended up with orange babies black markings that match the ones on the red one. I guess that means orange is dominate over red.
I am waiting on a female guppy to give birth to the first batch of this tank.

Just got the final guppy and platties out of my 29 gallon and put the plants back in. The tank now only has tetras and my shrimp. About the put my Matriarchs and Patriarchs in the 55 in a few. I'm letting the water mix at the moment.
I'm thinking a school of cories in the 55 for clean up. Might throw some shrimp in there too. I love those things!

KevinES said:
Well it's not really hard...the guys are horny and the girls are annoyed lol

I guess life doesn't change much...no matter the animal!!

Back
Top Bottom