Baby Bristle Nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrTMrW

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a tank with tropical fish and two plecos. I looked at my tank later today and to find it murky, it seemed like the plecos have dug another ole in the sand. When I looked for the culprits to my surprise I see three baby plecos sucking the bark of my bog wood.

I have only had a short look but there is more under the bog wood than outside and the two plecos are standing guard at teh nest.

The fry and no longer than 1cm and are fully colored.
Does anyone have any suggestions to how I should care for these young plecs? I have only bread live bearers before and plecos are new to me.

I want to make sure all young will survive, it would be a shame to see them all die.

Dont worry I see it says bristlenose. Lol. There are quite a few varietys you can feed fry, newly hatched brine shrimp, liquid fry food, powdered flake etc. Your lfs should stock something of that description. Male Bristlenoses raise their own fry and are very protective so they shouldn't get ate. :) how often do you do water changes and what %?

Every other week i do water changes and about 50%. I also clean the filter at the same time.

Id probably step the water changes up to atleast once a week for the fry as the cleaner the water the better. Some Breeders do 50% changes daily for their fry although that much shouldn't be nessecary for you. feed them little and often, 3-4 times a day. Make sure you dont over feed though

thanks, im not able to feed them that many times a day as there is only someone in the house after 5pm and before 9am. There is some plants in the tank, such as willow moss and a couple of other plants and the odd bit of algae.

Will they be OK with my other fish, i have a glass fish, guppies, sward tails and balloon mollies (all adults)

They should be fine with those fish, but if you notice any fry going missing I'd put them in a breeding net or similar till their a bit bigger

Back
Top Bottom