baby mollies ready for the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dt509

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
how soon after mollies are born is it safe to put them in the tank with the other fish? mine are about two and a half or three weeks old now and have definitely doubled in size, but I think the mother could still get them in her mouth if given the chance.
thanks,
dt509

dt509 said:
but I think the mother could still get them in her mouth if given the chance.

Then give it some more time. I made the mistake of transferring my guppy fry back in the community tank too soon. As soon as I put the first one in, the mother charged for him. Luckily I noticed then and decided to wait longer. They are only 4 weeks old and will probably be another 3-4 weeks before I try that again. Good luck!

how many fry do you have? I've had "pregnant" mollies before but missed the birth and fry were eaten! :cry:

I have 7, but she had them over night before I moved her to a net so I think she had more that were eaten. I found one of them a week after she had them and in comparison he was larger then the ones that I cought and put in the net.

dt509, if you want your fry to survive you should definitely wait before putting them in with the other fish. I had a molly fry that was almost 3/4" long that still got eaten--all that was left was the tail and head and a weird stringy piece that held those together...awful :cry:

I usually wait three to four weeks depending on how fast they grow. They will get eaten if too small. Wait until you know they are too big to be eaten and you will be okay. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom