Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Baby platys

I didn't intend to have any fry, but I bought a pregnant bumblebee platy. I rescued 6 fry and have them in a breeding box.

I like having them in the breeding box because it makes it easier to see them. That being said, a breeding box is pretty small for 6 fish longterm. Should I cycle a separate tank and move them after a few weeks? I have an unused 5 gallon tank somewhere.

I'm just not sure how long I should keep them separate from the big fish. They should be about 2 weeks old now. They are definitely growing quickly and seem very active.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Depends on what type of fish you have . Keep them in the breeder and feed several times a day and they will grow fast . As soon as they are big enough to not get eaten , turn them loose in the tank . You can set up another tank ,but not needed . Depends also on what your long term plans are as far as are the fry going to live in the tank they are in now ? Oh , are you a Va Tech professor ? lol

Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #3
Grand Poobah of Fish Poo

Platys will eat newborns, but, in my experience (see my .sig), after two weeks they should be fine from her. You may be getting more, too, as platy females can store sperm for several weeks.

What size tank is your female in right now, and what other fish are in there with her?

Tags
baby, platy, platys

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com