Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Baby shrimplets - Please Help!!

I just recently got some ghost shrimp and I knew that a few females were holding eggs but I didnt expect babies this soon I want to give the babies the best possible chance for survival!! They are housed in a shrimp only 10g aquarium with a small hob filter with a sponge over the intake. I'm worried that even with the sponge some of the babies will be sucked up and die.. Should I turn off the filter and do PWC for the first week instead or leave the filter on?? What would be best for lighting? Turn off, leave on, or keep same schedule? Also what about food for the babies? I read online about Hikari First Bites.. Has anyone used that?

Old 05-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner
I just recently got some ghost shrimp and I knew that a few females were holding eggs but I didnt expect babies this soon I want to give the babies the best possible chance for survival!! They are housed in a shrimp only 10g aquarium with a small hob filter with a sponge over the intake. I'm worried that even with the sponge some of the babies will be sucked up and die.. Should I turn off the filter and do PWC for the first week instead or leave the filter on?? What would be best for lighting? Turn off, leave on, or keep same schedule? Also what about food for the babies? I read online about Hikari First Bites.. Has anyone used that?
Sponge should do just fine IMO. You just need a micro food. That is most important. In my experience, they're strong swimmers, just terrible at eating big things. I'd say a first bites would work.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! I got some micro food for them tonight. Hopefully the little guys pull through! I also turned the filter down a little so I think that will help them too.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Congrats! You're now a shrimp parent :P With the sponge they should be fine, as long as the water flow isn't too strong. No need to change the lighting.

--Adeeb
adeebm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok thanks!! I'm soo excited I got a cool pic of one of them that ill post later cause I need my computer to post it.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to ejaramillo01
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiner View Post
Ok thanks!! I'm soo excited I got a cool pic of one of them that ill post later cause I need my computer to post it.
Cool!
ejaramillo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Reiner, this is great news, hope they all do well. Can you post your water stat's and any special method deployed (if any) to encourage successful hatchings. I had a female laden with eggs, one day - no eggs, two weeks later no young either ! I would be real happy if I could get a result, as I am sure you are.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaOne
Reiner, this is great news, hope they all do well. Can you post your water stat's and any special method deployed (if any) to encourage successful hatchings. I had a female laden with eggs, one day - no eggs, two weeks later no young either ! I would be real happy if I could get a result, as I am sure you are.
I actually bought this particular female with the eggs and it was only 2 days later and I had tiny shrimplets buzzing around! I'll have to check on the exact pH, hardness, etc. tonight when I get home and I'll post them but I know the temp is in the low 70s and ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all right where a clean cycled tank should be. Iv actually been checking those 3 fairly often since the shrimplets hatched ( I'm prob just being paranoid but I really want to give the little guys the best chance of survival!!)

Since I just got lucky with this batch I don't know for sure why yours would have lost the eggs but from what I have read that can occur if the parameters are off or if the female feels threatened. Mine are in a shrimp only 10g with lots of places to hang on and hide if they want. Are yours kept with fish?

Also what kind of filter do you have? I ask because the shrimplets will get sucked up an intake if there isn't a sponge over it (which is what I have) or I read a sponge filter would work well. I also turned my filter down so that neither the suction or water pressure would be too strong for the shrimplets.

As soon as they hatch they need micro food. I use first bites and I'm assuming that's working because there still alive. Lol

Hopefully this helped some but since I'm still new to breeding these guys we'll have to learn together as we go. Lol
Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

O and I can't upload pics from my phone right now and when I tried from my computer I couldn't figure it out.. Usually I don't feel this technologically inapt!! Lol. But I will upload them as soon as possible cause I'm so proud of my little shrimplets. lol

Tags
baby, rim, shrimp, shrimplets

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com