baby sturgeon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greenphantom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I went to my lfs and they had baby sturgeon for sale I had never seen this before so I went and got the owner to ask him if it was compatible in my 120 gallon community tank and the guy said oh yea he will do great in there so I took his word for it took it home acclimated to my tank and went over to the computer and started doing some research I found mixed results some sites say not a good pet and u need a chiller and my tank is at 80 degrees some sites say it can handle temps between 65 and 80 degrees so I called the lfs and asked them if I could trade him back in and they said no he ll be fine not really sure what to do any ideas?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120526_183350.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120526_183350.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 338
get rid of it. they get HUGE,i checked on google a while,several sites said white sturgeon can exceed 20 feet

Get rid of it, it can grow to 6 feet and they are going extent in some part of Canada

Its not a white sturgeon its a shovel head and wont grow over 3 feet I am pretty worried about the temperature though because it will take him 50+ years to get that big

I got mixed results from the internet some say 50 to 70 degrees some say 60 to 80 my tank is at 80. My lfs just keeps arguing with me I should have researched but they are normally good people I have been going there for 20+ years so they refuse to trade him for (sturgeon) anything so I put him on craigslist anyone one here with a 1000+ gallon pond or huge tank wants him lemme no I will trade also

id say theyd need pretty cold water. they live at the bottom of REALLY deep lakes,which would be pretty cold. id guess around 60

He's beautiful..maybe give him a chance. And if he dies bring him back to the store with a water sample to show that nothing was wrong with your tank and that they said he'd be fine even though he should have been in cooler water.

id say theyd need pretty cold water. they live at the bottom of REALLY deep lakes,which would be pretty cold. id guess around 60

That's a big assumption, but probably fairly correct. The best way to find out though would be to figure out the exact species and then research it's native range and habitat. We have sturgeon down here in florida, so not all of them live in cold water. The gulf sturgeon here live in rivers but move to brackish water or full marine during different times of the year.

Here's the wiki on a shovelnose if that's what it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovelnose_sturgeon

To be honest, it is pretty messed up that the LFS won't do anything to help you. I'd let them know that if it were me.

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
That's a big assumption, but probably fairly correct. The best way to find out though would be to figure out the exact species and then research it's native range and habitat. We have sturgeon down here in florida, so not all of them live in cold water. The gulf sturgeon here live in rivers but move to brackish water or full marine during different times of the year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovelnose_sturgeon

To be honest, it is pretty messed up that the LFS won't do anything to help you. I'd let them know that if it were me.

I agree it's messed up, because you asked their opinion in the first place.. Which may be why they don't want to take it back.

And the sad thing is they really screwed me beings its a holiday wknd and they only have a 24 hour live fish guarantee and he was 50.00$

Greenphantom said:
And the sad thing is they really screwed me beings its a holiday wknd and they only have a 24 hour live fish guarantee and he was 50.00$

Geeze! Did you talk to the manager? Or owner of the store?

Shovelnose sturgeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i didnt believe it,but then i found several more sights agreeing with it, not sure if its true,but hey,less people will buy them:)

Oh yea I spoke with the owner he said nope the only option I had was if it died I could bring it back and get another of the same

Greenphantom said:
Oh yea I spoke with the owner he said nope the only option I had was if it died I could bring it back and get another of the same

That's stupid.. What's wrong with just getting your money's worth of fish or getting store credit if it dies? Lol too bad we can't petition for you! Maybe show them how many ppl think that it's wrong? Or you could threaten never to come back.

First post outside of the introduction forums.So take this how you will.

As a guy that helps at a LFS and works closely with management.
Find another store. Any store that carries sturgeon so be put out of business. Especially if their selling Shovelheads.
Their wild population is to easily depleted because of their spawning habits. Plus there is no way we can replicate their natural environment close enough for them to survive long term in our tanks.

If you live close enough to a public aquarium,they may take him. You could also check with your state game and fish commission. They could probably help you out.

Wont get your $50 back. But at least you'd be getting the fish somewhere it has a chance to survive.

Yote said:
First post outside of the introduction forums.So take this how you will.

As a guy that helps at a LFS and works closely with management.
Find another store. Any store that carries sturgeon so be put out of business. Especially if their selling Shovelheads.
Their wild population is to easily depleted because of their spawning habits. Plus there is no way we can replicate their natural environment close enough for them to survive long term in our tanks.

If you live close enough to a public aquarium,they may take him. You could also check with your state game and fish commission. They could probably help you out.

Wont get your $50 back. But at least you'd be getting the fish somewhere it has a chance to survive.

Good idea, check with your local game and parks, they hopefully should help.

You no this is kinda my fault I should have done my research but I never woulda thought I would ever see a sturgeon for sale so it never occurred to me to research a sturgeon! So I impulse bought and this has came back to bite me in the butt I always listen to these people on the assumption they are out for the best interest of the animal but this exp. along with a few other times these people dont care about the animal or there customers its all about money and it disgusts me it almost makes me wanna quit the hobby imagine all those fish and small animals suffering and my money is contributing to it thats a shame. Anyway the sturgeon made it threw the night still swimming all over the place and eating well I am still trying to rehome him but in the mean time I am gonna lower the temp to about 77 I dont wanna go lower then that cause I have some quite expensive show fish

Back
Top Bottom