Back in the aquarium game after 20+ years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I was quite the aquarium enthusiast in my teens, but my interest fell off as I got older. Over the years I still had the desire and contemplated it many times. Well, here at 39 I just received the Marineland 60 gallon tank with stand and hooded lighting for Christmas. I guess I mentioned an aquarium one too many times so my wife surprised me with this setup.

Anyway, she also bought a fluval three phase filtration system for it, but the illustration on the packaging shows it installed on a tank with no cover present. Are any of you guys familiar with my tank, and if so do you have any recommendations for filtration systems? More specifically, a filtration system that will work with my hoods and that will have some type of biological component. To start out, I am probably NOT going with a sump system so keep that in mind when advising. This fluval I have is what I would like to go with, but I don't see how it would work without removing the hoods.

Oh, my system will be freshwater although I am leaning towards artificial coral decor. Please feel free to opine with pros and cons in that regard! Additionally, what substrate is optimal considering aesthetics and maintenance? Is crushed coral acceptable in a freshwater system? What if any issues are associated with crushed coral i.e. vacuuming, freshwater compatibility, etc.

As I have previously stated, I have been out of the Aquarium life for more than 20 years. If anyone has any recommendations that are out of the scope of what I have outlined, then by all means, enlighten me or give direction on something to try. Whether it be design or materials I am open to suggestions.

Thank you,

follow up

I have found out that there are notches on the hoods that can be removed to allow for filters etc. My filter is a fluval 70. To refresh, my tank is 60 gallons. The fluval 70 will turn the water 5 times per hour. Is this enough? Also, i may be changing my mind about artificial coral. I may go with some other decor and perhaps some live plants. Any input would be appreciated. If the fluval 70 is not adequate, what would be the next step up? Also, if i go with live plants, will the lighting that came with my marineland 60 gallon ensemble be adequate for plants? Perhaps there are plants that can thrive on less light? The hood i have is the perfecto recessed hoods. Cannot find a description of the lighting in the limited paperwork that came with it. Any insight or tips would be appreciated.

You may want to think about adding a bit more filtration, but it's up to you. The amount you have at the moment is right on the edge IMO.

Also, I strongly recommend live plants (y)

follow up

I have found out that there are notches on the hoods that can be removed to allow for filters etc. My filter is a fluval 70. To refresh, my tank is 60 gallons. The fluval 70 will turn the water over 5 times per hour. Is this enough? Also, i may be changing my mind about artificial coral. I may go with some other decor and perhaps some live plants. Any input would be appreciated. If the fluval 70 is not adequate, what would be the next step up? Also, if i go with live plants, will the lighting that came with my marineland 60 gallon ensemble be adequate for plants? Perhaps there are plants that can thrive on less light? The hood i have is the perfecto recessed hoods. Cannot find a description of the lighting in the limited paperwork that came with it. Any insight or tips would be appreciated.

I have found out that there are notches on the hoods that can be removed to allow for filters etc. My filter is a fluval 70. To refresh, my tank is 60 gallons. The fluval 70 will turn the water over 5 times per hour. Is this enough? Also, i may be changing my mind about artificial coral. I may go with some other decor and perhaps some live plants. Any input would be appreciated. If the fluval 70 is not adequate, what would be the next step up? Also, if i go with live plants, will the lighting that came with my marineland 60 gallon ensemble be adequate for plants? Perhaps there are plants that can thrive on less light? The hood i have is the perfecto recessed hoods. Cannot find a description of the lighting in the limited paperwork that came with it. Any insight or tips would be appreciated.

This appears to be a double-post. I put my response above this

follow up

You may want to think about adding a bit more filtration, but it's up to you. The amount you have at the moment is right on the edge IMO.

Also, I strongly recommend live plants (y)

My last post was before i read your reply. So what is the next step up? Fluval 110? And also, someone already gave me some recommendations for plants, but it was in a chat and i forgot to record them or write them down. Any suggestions is appreciated.

If you go planted for substrate I would look at Eco-complete is really good stuff. I wouldn't use crush coral in a fresh water tank.

phishfriend said:
If you go planted for substrate I would look at Eco-complete is really good stuff. I wouldn't use crush coral in a fresh water tank.

I wholeheartedly agree. Eco Complete is great and crushed coral is only used with Africans without plants.

I'd get an Aquaclear 110 for a filter if you want a hang on back type or a Rena XP3 if you want a canister filter. Either would work wonderfully. For lights it's hard to say without seeing what you have. Could you post a picture of your hood and lights? It'll be easier if we had more information.

Happy to know that yours back in the game!

Hello piao,

I think you will find that a lot has changed in this hobby in the last 20 years, and I mean a lot.

I'm glad you changed your mind on keeping saltwater decor in a freshwater tank. That was a good decision! I'm not familiar with your tank setup, but I believe your hood's lighting system is a standard T8-type fluorescent. Unfortunately, that system will not be enough to keep anything but low light plants, some of which are java ferns, anubias, crypts, mosses, and some kinds of Hygrophila sp. Many of these plants can be attached to driftwood, and they can be placed higher up on the wood so it gets more light. You can float the Hygrophila, as well.

I think you have the Fluval Aquaclear line. That is a hang-on-back type filter. I prefer the gallons-per-hour on HOB filters to be 10x the tank volume. For canister filters, 5x is okay, but more is better. It wouldn't hurt to go for the 110 if finances allow.

I would not use crushed coral in your setup, although it will work for cichlids from the African Rift Lakes. I think regular gravel will work just fine as you get started. You'll have plenty of time to ponder different kinds of substrate as you continue to dive in (no pun intended) to this never-ending hobby. There are plant friendly substrate as well, just in case you decide to upgrade the lighting system.

Make sure to study up on the cycling process, which is the key to success.

David

Or you can put another filter of the same size on the other side of your tank. I have a 55 gallon and run 2 Penguin 350s for filtration.

follow up

Ok, for those of you asking for photos etc, i have been out of pocket. Plus my setup is not actually accessible at the moment. Gotta make a place for it before bringing it over.

So, i have looked into some aquarium types i.e. community, goldfish, planted etc. I noticed the pictures of tanks with plants seem to be over run with plants and look rather bland. Then again i supposed it would be very healthy for the fish. Is there a theme that could be an effective mix of a few plants, yet still allows for maximizing color in decor and fish? And please pardon my ignorance on the matter.

P.S. plus it seems like the plant cover on the bottom would make vacuuming very difficult. How is that dealt with in the event of many accumulated plants on the bottom?

greetings.

in general, when you have plants you do not vacuum near them. it will damage their rootnet, and typically the plants deal with the poo themselves.

greetings.

in general, when you have plants you do not vacuum near them. it will damage their rootnet, and typically the plants deal with the poo themselves.

Yes, I am now finding these things out. As someone else previously mentioned there is a lot that has changed, but what is probably more of my nemesis is I have forgotten a great deal over the years.

I have finally gotten to a computer (previously was looking up videos and photos on my phone) so now I am seeing video and pictures of planted aquariums in better resolution. I think I will go with plants and like you said, I am finding out with plants, you do not need to vacuum so much. I assume the plants that form a "carpet" on the bottom would prevent build up of ammonia from waste etc?

Back
Top Bottom