background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiketooth

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to get some help from you guys on what i could do for a background. Here is the pic of my tank

ForumRunner_20130414_220806.jpg

You could just do a black background. Or if you want to splurge you could get a 3D background. They are awesome. You have some work to do to get it in place and they are expensive, but they are very cool.

I looked into the 3D backgrounds but thats after i have added plants and everything. I would have to empty my tank to install it but they are really cool, next tank i set up will have a 3D background

I painted the back of my tank and it was so much easier than I thought and look so much better than a stick on background(cheaper too). Most people do black or blue but I went with a dark Forrest green and it compliments the plants very well

Never tbought about green, will have to check it out. I think i locked myself into a stickon background sence i am not getting behind my tank

Never tbought about green, will have to check it out. I think i locked myself into a stickon background sence i am not getting behind my tank

I couldn't get behind my tank either, I just drained water until I could slide the tank out about 2 or 3 feet then filled, then painted and let dry overnight then drained and slid haha. It really wasn't all that difficult

I have a blue stick on background but it's reversible and black on the other side. I would have preferred my 220g to be painted but once it was put in place it wasn't getting moved again as it takes at minimum of 4 guys to move it.

Oh yeah! That's why I learned a long time ago if I have to use a background I completely seal the top and sides with clear 3" wide tape so water can't get accidently splashed between the tank and background.

Oh yeah! That's why I learned a long time ago if I have to use a background I completely seal the top and sides with clear 3" wide tape so water can't get accidently splashed between the tank and background.

Ahhhh I see that's where I'm going wrong! Thank you, Why didn't I think of that! Is it safe to use tape over the top edge as it would get wet sometimes ?

I read somewhere that someone used a bamboo screen ( think window shade). Was intrigued by the idea but ended up using a graduated blue stick on applied with Seaview background mounting solution. It didn t say on the bottle, but I swear it s just vegetable oil.

You can't put backgrounds on the back outside of the tank? I was thinking about doing that? Or will it look tacky?

I m pretty new to all of this but I thought all stick on s were on the outside. I ve seen rock type walls that go in the tank ( very expensive!). One member taped a puzzle with a Panda face on it, to the back of her tank. Looked like he was looking in at the fish!

Ahhhh I see that's where I'm going wrong! Thank you, Why didn't I think of that! Is it safe to use tape over the top edge as it would get wet sometimes ?

I use a heavier clear tape and it's worked great for years. As long as the tape is pressed down flush the water can't get under it so if it gets water sloshed on it- it doesn't affect it.

There were several people thinking the stickon background goes inside the tank. Its better to have it on the outside of the tank so you dont have to worry about the water, unless it spills over the backside.

I have mine on the outside, Im just having issues with water getting stuck in between the background and glass. I will definitely try taking it all the way along and with a nice thick tape.

I have mine on the outside, Im just having issues with water getting stuck in between the background and glass. I will definitely try taking it all the way along and with a nice thick tape.

How is water getting inbetween your tank and background. When you applied the background how did you do it?

How is water getting inbetween your tank and background. When you applied the background how did you do it?

I just used a bit of tape here and there to hold it. I need to try taping it all around the edges. I don't know why it keeps happening I can't figure it out

I currently purchased a seview background and the seaview gel from drsfostersmith.com and oh my god does it look good it actually looks real not cloudy or faded looking like most backgrounds I've seen its crystal clear and super bright. and only took me 15min to put it on and it was my first time doing it. Here's a pic.

ForumRunner_20130415_012336.jpg

My first tank i put the background on inside, worst idea ever. I have black which makes the tank look deeper & brings out colour in plants & fish.
The 3d backgrounds are cool but take a few inches out your tank remember & are expensive.

Back
Top Bottom