Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I tossed my plastic fake background and got the textured spray paint and painted the back of the tank - looks really nice

Old 07-06-2006, 03:36 PM   #12

IMO you should drain the tank and move it when you have the time anyway. You really should have some room to work behind the tank IME.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

this is exactly why I just paint a solid background (usually black) on all my tanks and call it good.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

These Vaseline and corn oil suggestions are a little crazy, but I guess if they work...

Personally, I'd just drain as much as I could safely get out of the tank, then wedge some of those plasic things under the corners that they sell specifically to scoot furniture around.

As far as actually getting the background to stick, I've had really good luck with the Scotch Clear Mounting Squares that I found in Meijer for about $2.50. You have to be careful peeling the first layer of backing off, but they work much better than double-sided tape. They're actually strong enough to keep tension on the paper, so it doesn't sag against the tank.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #15

That is not really a good idea Tostada. Moving the tank around or jerking it around that way with water in it could create a lot of stress on the tank that you really dont want.

It does not take that long to drain a tank and put the fish in QT or a bucket if you are careful. Unless it is a huge tank.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I had the same problem with my 125 gal and when we move, off goes the plastic background and I am painting it. Somehow moisture always seems to get caught in there and cause pockets.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Paint, paint, paint, paint, LOL. From now on, I will only paint. None of these tape-on, self sticking, vaseline, or anything else. I don't like them. But I do love textured paint. So many varieties to choose from. Then if you want the ultimate, you can get something like this:

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...ons&1152628793
Old 07-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike469
That is not really a good idea Tostada. Moving the tank around or jerking it around that way with water in it could create a lot of stress on the tank that you really dont want.

It does not take that long to drain a tank and put the fish in QT or a bucket if you are careful. Unless it is a huge tank.
A 55 gal. tank isn't really THAT big. I don't see how moving it around carefully with about 20 gal. of the water in it would be a problem unless it was really cheap.

Now that I think about it, though, it'd probably be less hassle overall just to get a few big buckets. Still might want to get a few of those scooty pad thingies depending on how hard it was to move the tank across the floor, though.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to smithw14
Vegetable Oil WORKS!!! (didnt have corn oil) YAY!! It looks GREAT. I was a skeptic at first, but I must admit it looks great now - no bubbles or anything!!!!!!

Thanks for everybodies input.

-William

smithw14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
background

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com