Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to smithw14
Backgrounds Backgrounds Backgrounds

In the name of good and evil, I find myself in the worst possible situation a fish...umm..person could EVER be in. This is worse than ANYTHING, and I am requesting help from all the experts! THIS IS LIFE OR DEATH!!!!

Okay, so, I set my 55g up, pushed it to the wall leaving little space, set up the filter, heater, etc. Filled the tank, added the fish, then applied the background.

"Did he say he applied the background as the last step?!"

Why yes, I did. Quit your bickering. Needless to say it was a laborous process, with an end result leaving much to be desired. I've got it on there, sorta, but there are air pockets, especially in the center. When the light is on, it illuminates only the portions of the background that does not have air pockets. So I am left with a stinky (not my word of choice but i'm trying to be gentle here) looking background that I do not like. So yeah, I got a 600-800 lb object against the wall here and the back is not very assessable, especially the center. TO TOP IT ALL OFF, this background was a huge investment. I believe it rang to the ungodly amount of two dollars and fifty cents. Those kinds of prices should be illegal!

I need help - how do I get this thing to stick on there flush? I used double sided take on the ends which was hard to do because once you set one side its hard to move or adjust. I think I just need to start over - but don't know the best way to get a smooth, even application.

The rest of the tank looks magnificent. The crayfish loves the driftwood. He climbs up it and dives off it - I think he is practicing for the olympics (the crayfish olympics of course, he couldn't participate in the human olympics silly - they don't allow crayfish!!)

Like I said, this is a matter of life and death, obviously.

Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, snide remarks, and advice.

-William

Old 07-06-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Best option... Bag the fish and drain the tank. Sorry but your plum out of luck trying to do it any other way.

Alshain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

But what is the best way for it to stick and stay flush w/o air pockets?
smithw14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
The one I had on my 45 wasn't flush and I could see it perfectly fine. Granted I had the expensive background... $3.

I just used a few pieces of scotch tape to hold it on the ends and one in the center to keep it from sagging (and I did this while the tank was set up as well).
Old 07-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just pulled mine tight and scotch taped it on. I didn't even use doublesided tape. Of course now I prefer LWB's wonderfull spray paint method.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to MattAquaBio
I had this problem, heres what you do:
Get a long brush, like an aquarium brush for example, and get some vasoline. Put some vasoline on the brush and use it to spread the vasoline as evenly as possible along the back of the tank, you want a thin layer.
Then get something flat (like a credit card or a c.d case or something, the longer the better) and use it to smooth out the background. I used a rolling pin gently because i had enough room, if not just use like a dvd case and get all the airpockets out.
HTH.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you shove a thin stick (like a yardstick ruler) between the back of the tank and the wall ? If you can, then use the ruler to smooth it out a bit and try taping it again.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to MattAquaBio
yes a yardstick ruler! perfect! lol
Thats the long thing you could use lol. Gj Joannde.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Don't use Vaseline. I did, and after a few months, the background developed tiny bumps and started to pucker. I'm guessing that something in petroleum jelly breaks down the plastic background.

When I replaced my backgrounds, I had the same problem as you - a 58 gal tank so close to the wall that I couldn't get my whole arm behind it. I went to Home Depot and got a wide, long handled squeegee in the wallpaper department.

I bought a background a few inches longer than I really needed and trimmed the bottom so it would fit snugly between the top and bottom frames. Then I generously coated it with corn oil and applied it to the back of the tank from above. Then, I used the squeegee to smooth out the bubbles. Having the tank lights on when you do this helps you see the bubbles. After the background was in place, I trimmed the excess from the sides with a razor blade.

It's been about 9 months, and the background still looks great - no bubbles.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Interesting....

::takes notes franticly::

smithw14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
background

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com