Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishymike

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok Hi all I am new to this board but not fish keeping,But i do have a question that i don't have a clue about never had this prob. I woke up this AM to find my power filter not working. Bio wheel has been w/o water for at least 8 hrs. How long will bvacteria live w/o water. I still have a ugf running but it is airstone operated at the moment so not the greatest. Did i lose all my bacteria :(

My guess would be if the bio wheels have gotten completely dry then the majoriy of the bactera will not be alive. Now if they are most or damp then they could be living fairly well.

Did the impeller on the hangon filter stop spinning? SOunds like it.

if everything dried, then everything on the wheels is most likely dead, however you should still have some left on the hard surfaces of the tank, assuming it is a mature tank, it shouldn't take too long for it to catch back up....if it stopped because the impeller got gummed up, you need to do more regular pump maintenance to prevent this problem in the future and for now you should monitor your levels of ammonia and nitrite to see if you have a significant spike.

Back
Top Bottom