Bacteria Bloom??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marshy92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

about 3-4 weeks ago I got a 350 litre tank (approx 92 US gal). I have sand substrate, Eheim 2217 canister filter, fairly heavily planted (Plastic plants) and a few big decorations/hiding places.

In my filter I have 25% Media from a Established tank and the rest of the media is new. I was told because I have established media in my filter I could add my stock as soon as I wanted, so I let my tank settle for 2-3 days and added a large ammount of fish over the space of 2 weeks

10 Zebra Danios
2 Angel Fish
2 Silver Sharks
1 Red Tail Shark
4 Cory (Panda I think)
3 Clown Loachs
2 Loachs (A type of zebra loach)
2 Algea Eaters (1 Gold 1 normal)
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Pictus Catfish
1 Female Convict Cichlid

I've been using 2 different types of flake food, frozen food and Aglea pellets. I feed protien and veg flakes on day 1 and 3 then frozen food and algea pellets on day 2 and 4 then starve on day 5 so they go round and eat any left over foods etc. and start over from day 1 again if you get my drift.

for the first week after all fish were added my water was crystal clear and well but I noticed a ammonia spike (I no its due to me adding so many fish!) so I got some nite-out bacteria in a bottle and have been dosing up daily and added carbon into my filter. My ammonia levels halved in 2 days and is still dropping down. But now my water has been cloudy since I've been using the nite-out formular and the carbon. Yes I washed the carbon before adding not super thoroughly but enough and I expected some cloudiness from that but my tank has now been cloudy for about 5 days so I'm guessing its a mixture of the carbon and using a large ammount of nite-out for a few days which has maybe caused a bacteria bloom? I've been told to leave my water as a bacteria bloom is what a new tank needs to establish the filter but he also said it would only last a couple of days?

Is this normal? And is it true that I should leave it to just sort itself out?

Sorry for the mass essay but I figured you'd need all the info to answer my questions and give me the best advice! Cheers

marshy92 said:
Hi all!

about 3-4 weeks ago I got a 350 litre tank (approx 92 US gal). I have sand substrate, Eheim 2217 canister filter, fairly heavily planted (Plastic plants) and a few big decorations/hiding places.

In my filter I have 25% Media from a Established tank and the rest of the media is new. I was told because I have established media in my filter I could add my stock as soon as I wanted, so I let my tank settle for 2-3 days and added a large ammount of fish over the space of 2 weeks

10 Zebra Danios
2 Angel Fish
2 Silver Sharks
1 Red Tail Shark
4 Cory (Panda I think)
3 Clown Loachs
2 Loachs (A type of zebra loach)
2 Algea Eaters (1 Gold 1 normal)
1 Albino Bristlenose Pleco
1 Pictus Catfish
1 Female Convict Cichlid

I've been using 2 different types of flake food, frozen food and Aglea pellets. I feed protien and veg flakes on day 1 and 3 then frozen food and algea pellets on day 2 and 4 then starve on day 5 so they go round and eat any left over foods etc. and start over from day 1 again if you get my drift.

for the first week after all fish were added my water was crystal clear and well but I noticed a ammonia spike (I no its due to me adding so many fish!) so I got some nite-out bacteria in a bottle and have been dosing up daily and added carbon into my filter. My ammonia levels halved in 2 days and is still dropping down. But now my water has been cloudy since I've been using the nite-out formular and the carbon. Yes I washed the carbon before adding not super thoroughly but enough and I expected some cloudiness from that but my tank has now been cloudy for about 5 days so I'm guessing its a mixture of the carbon and using a large ammount of nite-out for a few days which has maybe caused a bacteria bloom? I've been told to leave my water as a bacteria bloom is what a new tank needs to establish the filter but he also said it would only last a couple of days?

Is this normal? And is it true that I should leave it to just sort itself out?

Sorry for the mass essay but I figured you'd need all the info to answer my questions and give me the best advice! Cheers

Most likely a bacteria bloom, I'm assuming nite out is a bacteria booster which most likely contributed to the bloom. Both tanks I fish in cycled got them around week 2 or 3 & they cleared up after a week or so. Keep doing water changes based on your water test results.

My bloom made my tank so cloudy I couldnt see my fish but only lasted a day and after it went I had 0 ammonia in my tank, Brill! But I still have a little cloudiness in my tank due to the carbon I've added, is there a way to get rid of this or is it a case of leaving it to settle ?

marshy92 said:
My bloom made my tank so cloudy I couldnt see my fish but only lasted a day and after it went I had 0 ammonia in my tank, Brill! But I still have a little cloudiness in my tank due to the carbon I've added, is there a way to get rid of this or is it a case of leaving it to settle ?

Hmm, I've never had cloudy water from carbon. I would imagine it'll clear up with time. Someone else may have experience with that.

Back
Top Bottom