Bacteria bloom problem!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denbros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Its been 3 weeks of cycling. I never had a bacteria bloom. I did everything. Added filter media, added source of ammonia, I also added a water pump. I use tap conditioner. I haven't received cloudy water. No bacteria bloom?!?! Also the ammonia levels don't go over 0.25ppm. Am I doing anything wrong?

:thanks:

Test readings:

Ammonia levels: 0.5ppm-0.25ppm
Nitrate levels: 0-0.5ppm
Nitrite levels: usually 0-0.5ppm
-------------------------------

Information quickly copied above.

For OP, one other would be to check ph. Below a ph of 6.5 the nitrifying bacterial activity will slow down.

Next one to check would be what water conditioner is being added(?) and if added to the correct dose. Possible that over-dosing may slow down the process.

Next would be what level of ammonia are you dosing to? What ammonia source are you adding and if the test kit is correct. Most fishless-cycling guides will suggest dosing to 2 or 4 ppm ammonia.

Would be handy if you can post further details on how you have been cycling the tank?

You wont necessarily see cloudy water but that doesn't mean the bacteria colony hasn't grown. The cycle can complete without noticing that cloudy bloom. The ammonia levels are not going to increase by themself (assuming you have no fish in the tank anyway). You'll have to add it and then keep testing. You'll want to add ammonia to about 2 ppm and keep testing your water daily. When the ammonia starts to drop you'll want to keep dosing to bring it up to that 2 ppm. Eventually you'll start seeing a nitrite reading. Keep dosing the ammonia to 1 or 2 ppm until you see 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite within 24 hours or so of dosing the ammonia. By that point you should be seeing nitrate readings and then your cycle is complete!

Back
Top Bottom